RFE/RL’s Internship Program offers meaningful work experience for university students and recent graduates in order to:
- Provide interns an opportunity to develop their skills through practical experience
- Support RFE/RL's mission by providing independent journalism or other subject matter experience to individuals from our broadcast regions
- Assist RFE/RL's outreach efforts
Place & Length of the Internship
The internship can take place in RFE/RL Headquarters in Prague, in our DC office, some RFE/RL bureaus or even remotely.
RFE/RL offers a limited number of placements for interns, which are filled subject to the current needs of our divisions and departments. As such, interns should expect to devote at least three months to their RFE/RL experience, subject to renewal. However, interns seeking a full-time, intensive internship for a shorter duration are also considered.
Divisions/Departments within RFE/RL open for the internship
- News (Language Services, Current Time, etc.)
- External Affairs
- Human Resources
- Operations (Information Technology, Broadcast Operations, etc.)
Click and learn more about our current open internship positions.
Requirements & Conditions
- Applicants must be university students or recent graduates (up to one year post graduation).
- Applicants must have a good working knowledge of English, both oral and written.
- Working experience in the desired field of expertise is not necessarily required, but knowledge of one of RFE/RL's 27 broadcast languages is a significant advantage.
- The internship is unpaid. All costs (flight, accommodation, per diem, health insurance, etc.) are the responsibility of the intern.
- The intern is responsible for any medical or other health costs that may be incurred.
- An internship does not, in any way, constitute a commitment to future employment with RFE/RL.
How to apply
- Write a short cover letter explaining the motivation for completing an internship at RFE/RL.
- Provide an updated and structured resume/CV.
- Provide work samples if applying for a News or External Affairs internship.
- If applying to a Language Service internship with focus on journalism, please provide a writing sample in the language used by that service.
- Links to digital portfolio samples are allowed and welcomed.
We recommend that applications be submitted at least 8 weeks in advance of the desired start of the internship.