Earlier this month, RFE’s Pakistan Service, Radio Mashaal
, celebrated its one year anniversary
. Following a banner first year in which Mashaal garnered praise for its unique coverage
of the July floods, as well as for its reporting on controversial bombings in Peshawar
, the service received congratulations from all corners of Pakistani society - as well as international recogntion
. Such accolades are indicative of the widespread trust that Radio Mashaal has earned over the past 12 months.
“I am very happy with Radio Mashaal’s work. It mobilizes and enlightens people, providing them with the information they require. I congratulate the Mashaal team on the completion of its first year, and I urge them to continue their struggle to defeat darkness by spreading light.”
- Mufti Kifayatullah, leader of Jamiat-ul-Ulam-e-Islam (JUI) and Member of the Pakhtunkhwa Assembly.
“In a very short span of time, Radio Mashaal has become a voice of the Pashtuns. In every nook and corner of Pakhtunkhwa it creates awareness in the Pashtun nation. Our prayers are with Radio Mashall.”
- Amir Haider Khan Hoti, Chief Minister of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
“During its first year Radio Mashaal reached out to each and every person in the region. I have no words to adequately convey my appreciation for Radio Mashaal and its active role in informing Pashtuns about developments in the region. I hope that it will continue with its broadcasts and a time will come when its voice will be heard in every home.”
- Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao, Member of Parliament, former Interior Minister and Chief of the Pakistan People’s Party.
“I congratulate Radio Mashaal for creating awareness and spreading the message of peace in far-flung areas where no other media sources have access. In its first year, Mashaal has created debate on important issues and conveyed it to the people in the Pashto language – this is its most important achievement.”
- Bushra Gauhar, Central Vice President of the Awami National Party and Member of Parliament
“I congratulate Radio Mashaal on its first anniversary. I hope that it will continue its work of informing the Pashto masses and enlightening people’s minds.”
- Afrasiab Khattak, Senior Leader of the Awami National Party, former chairman of the Pakistan Human Rights Commission, and Member of Parliament
“I congratulate the Radio Mashaal team for their hard work. Due to their efforts, people in the Pashtun belt of Afghanistan and Pakistan are informed and educated.”
- Muhammad Kamran Khan, Member of the National Assembly from North Waziristan Agency
“During the last year Radio Mashaal earned a huge listenership in the region for its popular programs. It covered issues and events from all possible angles. I hope that it will continue to accomplish its mission with the same spirit.”
- Jabbar Naeemi, Governor of Khost Province, Afghanistan
“I congratulate all on the first anniversary of Radio Mashaal. Long live Radio Mashaal!”
- Farhad Darya, popular Pashtun singer