RFE/RL's mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. RFE/RL reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
The RFE/RL team is searching for a highly responsible and motivated Managing Editor who will oversee the Azerbaijani Service. You will execute proactive media strategies to ensure impactful and editorially sound content for RFE/RL. As a key member of our team, you will set the tone for the quality of content that is produced and help to elevate our editors and writers across the board.
What you’ll accomplish:
- Set daily news agenda and plan ahead for future news coverage
- Host morning editorial meetings where you will set deadlines, match stories with writers, and pair writers with editors
- Maintain direct supervisory responsibility over all editors
- Create the weekly schedule for editors and writers who will be on duty in Prague
- Ensure overall compliance with editorial standards in cooperation with RFE/RL Standards Editor
- Identify staff training needs and arrange for targeted training programs
- Remain open to working in other capacities to produce original work
What you bring:
- 10+ years working experience in a daily newsroom
- 5+ years management experience in a newsroom
- MA in Journalism, International Relations, or related field
- Demonstrates strong leadership and problem-solving skills
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Exhibits detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs
- Endowed with an excellent ability to think both creatively and analytically
- Possesses excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Knowledgeable of new technological developments in media
- Solid understanding of television/video production
- Mastery of Azerbaijani language- C2 level
- Proficiency in English language- C1 level
- Ability to communicate in Russian language- B2 level
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.