RFE/RL's Kazakh service announces a selection process for experienced Digital Editor with Russian to join our team in Almaty or Nur-Sultan bureau.
The Digital Editor manages the service’s (Russian) website from the bureau end, planning and guiding the online output of service journalists. Oversees the execution and delivery of all online content to meet the highest editorial and production standards. S/he creates Russian language content. The content will be crafted so that it is suitable for multimedia platforms and online video programs with an emphasis on video content. The incumbent works closely with DIGIM and other relevant language services, especially CTA, Russian and others. This includes working closely with the Multimedia and the Central Newsroom teams to create and deliver, daily, high quality, impactful, innovative news content that is on time, relevant to the RFE/RL mission, factually accurate, impartial, balanced, moderate and non-polemical in tone, conforming to RFE/RL’s Professional Code. Together with the Managing Editor and Bureau Chief, this person is expected to initiate and develop daily, in-depth, top story reports and content that is suitable to all the service platforms.
- Writes and edits the content prior to any publishing on our website. Digital Editor serves as the primary editorial filter for all content that is generated for our sites.
- Works in close cooperation with the entire editorial team connected to the Kazakh Service website, in all relevant languages.
- Stays on top of news and events in the region and takes responsibility for keeping the site up to date.
- Takes content in both Kazakh and/or English and crafts it fluently in Russian.
- Determines the flow of editorial priorities on the site throughout the day. Adjusts the content as the news flow shifts and as fresh content is generated.
- Determines the best placement of video output – e.g. engagement elements of the site, email comments from audiences.
- Maintains good journalism practices and writing skills. Strives to present material in an imaginative and original way. Is detail oriented with a deep understanding of news priorities.
- Focuses on compelling storytelling, relevant to our audience.
- Maintains a clear understanding and develops a clear strategy for social media dissemination and promotion.
- Oversees the content structure on the site and fact checks all content.
- Develops and exploits the online potential of the Service’s website to help maximize user interest, and takes responsibility for keeping the site up to date.
- Maintains a strong, ongoing relationship with the Pangea (CMS) team to determine how best to incorporate the newest features into the site.
- Works closely with Multimedia, the Central Newsroom and Technology teams, providing content information and helping with logistics as required.
- Draws content from other RFE/RL services for posting on the Service sites. Edit as needed, for language and style. Assign a digital producer to reformat or restructure content as needed, assure that it is properly targeting the Kazakh audience.
- Assigns Digital Producers to stories or projects, to assist in generating new content or develop ideas.
- Responds quickly to developing news stories to find appropriate guests and contributors.
- Generates ideas and execute them effectively and efficiently.
- Liaise with Azat News and Video teams on determining what TV content should be posted on the sites and in the most suitable format.
- Maintains a developed visual sense and knowledge of the latest relevant technological developments for the benefit of the website.
- Attends editorial meetings and takes part in informal discussions.
- Participates readily in training to update his/her digital and technical skills, and is keen to develop and widen them (multiskilling) embracing new technologies.
- Developing, networking and maintaining an extensive and up-to-date database of contacts (particularly Kazakh and Russian-speaking analysts, guests, experts and others) that covers different areas of expertise across the world.
- Shows continuous commitment to achieving the most efficient and cost-effective use of resources to enhance the Service’s online impact.
- Trains and mentors digital producers and visual journalists as required.
- Takes part in relevant training sessions offered by RFE/RL’s Training department to improve her/his performance.
- Performs well in a deadline driven environment and is flexible enough to complete all assignments regardless of any specific work shift.
Performs other related duties as required.
- Journalism Education or related area.
- Experience in digital production and creation of content (3 to 5 years)
- Strong sense of editorial judgement, logistical understanding, strategic and creative story sense.
- Deep understanding of social media methodology, how to best develop and place content on a variety of social media platforms. How best to curate and create compelling content for consumption by our target audience. How to broaden and expand audience impact and reach.
- Maintenance and understanding of all Media platforms, key players, analytics, critical connections within the field and with an ongoing positive relationship with other regional media outlets.
- Experience in working with video, and the ability to edit video.
- Broadcast service language - Russian and Kazakh (Working Proficiency)
- English language (Working Proficiency)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.