Reporting to the Chief Digital Editor, the Social Media Editor is responsible for coordinating, editing, and generally managing RFE/RL’s Language Service social media presence and engagement with audiences across these platforms. The incumbent plays a lead role in new media and digital initiatives and identifies content for enhanced outside promotion.
The Social Media Editor will be part of the Central Asia Migrant Media project which focus on telling the stories of migrants from Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Kazakhstan with a focus on stories related to migration.
- Coordinates and produces the engaging storytelling specifically geared for social media use on relevant platforms, incl. YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, VKontakte, OK, Telegram, etc.
- Makes sure that editorial standards are met on all our storytelling across platforms and that all content is thoroughly factchecked and edited before publication.
- Mines the social media for news leads, UGC (User Generated Content), and editorially relevant conversations.
- Regularly reviews and proactively shares performance metrics on relevant platforms for reviews and projects.
- Looks for the latest trends in social media storytelling and platforms, and, in coordination with colleagues, experiments with new forms of storytelling and on new platforms.
- Works with RFE/RL’s Digital Strategy team to actively share experiences of the team’s work with the entire organization and adapts accounts, processes and output to align with central guidelines and common standards.
- Liaises with the Marketing team on advertising opportunities across social platforms and assists them in implementing marketing campaigns in line with editorial priorities.
- Supports the growth, goal setting, professional development, and performance of social media producers and reporters.
- If requested, takes on writing, editing, and production assignments.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in social media
- 5+ years of experience in digital journalism in news organization
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL regions.
- Previous managerial experience required.
- Strong news judgment
- Team-based work ethic
- Understanding of digital success metrics
- Strong social media production skills
- Strong news writing and editing skills
- Strong knowledge of stories related to Central Asian migrants,
- Familiarity with tools like Tweetdeck, Crowdtangle, Socialbakers
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines.
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements.
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations and international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus.
- Turkmen - fluent
- Russian - fluent
- English – working knowledge, desirable
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.