Chief Digital Editor is responsible for optimally publishing our journalism on our sites and on other platforms, including social media and subscription services, so that it reaches new audiences, deepening loyalty, and building trust. Leads a small, self-directed team that meets daily publishing deadlines. Communicates proactively with stakeholders across various teams, including writers and editors, to ensure that published content meet expectations across platforms. This position reports to the Managing Editor Central Asia.
The Chief Digital Editor will be part of the Central Asia Migrant Media project which focus on telling the stories of migrants from Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Kazakhstan with a focus on stories related to migration.
- Prepares content to be published. Shares responsibility for posting clean and compelling content to the website, esp. with an eye to use on mobile devices, and to other platforms like social media and newsletters.
- Manages content and copy flow in coordination with other editors. Conducts quality tests on content pre- and post-publish, fix errors in published content, and test new site changes and features.
- Makes sure that editorial standards are met on all our storytelling across platforms and that all content is thoroughly factchecked and edited before publication.
- Takes a proactive role in editorial meetings, keeping up with the news and pitching compelling story ideas.
- Works with RFE/RL’s Digital Strategy team to actively share experiences of the team’s work with the entire organization and adapt accounts, processes and output to align with central guidelines and common standards.
- Manages and assigns tasks to members of the digital team and put together schedules for content and shifts.
- Supports the growth, goal setting, professional development, and performance of staff.
- If requested, takes on writing, editing, and production assignments.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 7+ years of experience in digital journalism in news organization,
- 5+ years of experience managing complex teams,
- Extensive experience in publishing projects across platforms,
- Extensive experience in project management,
- Experience in positions of increasing responsibility,
- Strong reporting and editing background.
- Strong news judgment,
- Team-based work ethic,
- Understanding of digital success metrics,
- Familiarity with social media storytelling and search engine optimization,
- Strong knowledge of stories related to Central Asian migrants,
- Ability to deliver fast, accurate and compelling copy and visual production,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines,
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements,
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice,
- Expected to work weekends and work from home, as and when required,
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations and international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure,
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus.
- Two or more of the Central Asian languages – fluent,
- Russian – fluent,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.