Digital broadcasters are responsible for creating original news-focused and feature audio content for digital and other platforms, so that it reaches new audiences, deepens loyalty, and builds trust. Under the supervision of an editor, you will work with a team of other digital broadcasters, sound designers, news & feature writers as well as digital and social media editors to moderate, produce and disseminate audio podcasts and radio shows. You will use the power of sound and human voice to distill complex topics (e.g. economics and corruption) into user friendly, compelling, engaging, and interesting story presentations. We are a team that places high value on collaboration, both in our daily work and in our efforts to continually improve how we work. You should be able to carry out all functions of other editors on the team. You communicate proactively with stakeholders across various divisions and teams, to ensure that audio content meet expectations across platforms. You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time rapid change. This role is an opportunity to explore the role of RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with different ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in audio storytelling and podcasting – and be keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling. A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required. This position reports to the Digital Broadcast Editor / Managing Editor / Service Director.
- You will be doing active pitching of original angles and story ideas to prepare audio content, including podcasts and radio shows, as assigned.
- Having a keen eye for what makes a good journalistic story, you will use excellent interviewing and story-telling skills to distill complex topics into user friendly, compelling, engaging, and interesting audio story presentations.
- Working closely and collaboratively with your assigned supervisory editor(s) at each stage of podcast/radio show, from inception to the final product, you will be a looking for the latest trends in audio production and platforms and, in coordination with colleagues, experiment with new forms of storytelling and on new platforms.
- You will be working both as a field correspondent and from the bureau, either individually or as part of a team, as assigned.
- If requested, you take on writing, editing, and production assignments.
- You will be cultivating at least one specialty beat and maintain and develop own original sources, as you work quickly, accurately, and collaboratively under deadline pressure.
- You contribute to maintaining a positive working environment, proactively provide support within and outside own team, always adhering to RFE/RL editorial standards.
- You perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field, or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 3+ years of journalistic experience,
- 3+ years of experience in digital audio journalism in news organization,
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL regions.
- Strong news judgment,
- Team-based work ethic,
- Excellent interviewing and story-telling skills,
- Knowledge of at least one specialty beat,
- Experience in producing audio and radio content, alone or as part of a team,
- Willingness to continuously learn new skills for digital platforms,
- Familiarity with audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, Audacity, DAVID,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines,
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the operating area as well as international affairs,
- Understanding of RFE/RL mission and broadcast target area.
- Romanian – fluent,
- Russian – proficient,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.