Senior Features and Investigations Editors are responsible for our investigative journalism and in-debt coverage of events and topics of interest, shape the content from idea generation through to editing the final product in various formats including video, so that it reaches new audiences, deepening loyalty and building trust. You will manage the team's work activities and set objectives. Investigative journalism and features production is integral to RFE/RL’s editorial process and success, and as a full-time team member, you will be too. You must have sound news and editorial judgment stemming from years of experience in journalism, an ability to work cooperatively under pressure and a commitment to nurture team members. We are a team that places high value on collaboration, both in our daily work and in our efforts to continually improve how we work. You should be able to carry out all functions of news and other editors on the team. You communicate proactively with stakeholders across various divisions and teams, including writers and other editors, to ensure that that news output, information and features are balanced, accurate, and conform to RFE/RL policy and the highest standards of journalism. You’ll work closely with a small, self-directed team to meet publishing deadlines. You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time rapid change. This role is an opportunity to explore the role of RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with different ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in journalism – and be keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling across platforms. A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required. This position reports to the Managing Editor / Service Director.
- In cooperation with other senior staff, you help plan the Service agenda, engage in idea generation with writers on the team, finalize assignments, supervise their completion, edit and issue the final product in a timely manner.
- You write and edit the content prior to any publishing, serving as the primary editorial filter for features and investigative content that is generated for our platform, including in video format.
- You will maintain good journalism practices and writing skills, strive to present material in an imaginative and original way, are detail oriented with a deep understanding of news priorities.
- You will focus on compelling storytelling, relevant to our audience.
- You assign writers to coverage of important topics, stories or projects, to assist in generating new content or develop ideas.
- You work closely with News Editor and Managing Editor to supervise a team of feature and investigation writers, providing feedback, managing the team's work activities, and setting objectives.
- You keep deadlines and strive to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- You must keep up with world news and developments in RFE/RL broadcast region.
- You should cultivate one or more specialty beats.
- You are encouraged and expected to work closely with digital and social media editors, with broadcasters and suggest your own pitches and story ideas.
- In addition to working regular shifts, you are expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by the Service Director or Managing Editor.
- You should be able to carry out all functions of news and other editors on the team
- You should develop networking and maintain an extensive and up-to-date database of contacts (particularly analysts, guests, experts and others) that covers different areas of expertise.
- You should participate readily in training to update your digital and technical skills, be keen to develop and widen them (multiskilling) embracing new technologies.
- You are ready to train and mentor local and regional journalists as required.
You perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of extensive experience in investigative and feature journalism, as both a reporter and an editor, including on digital platforms,
- Experience in video production,
- Experience in effectively supervising others,
- Experience in positions of increasing responsibility,
- Strong reporting and editing background,
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the operating area as well as international affairs,
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment is preferred.
- Strong news judgment,
- Team-based work ethic,
- Proved leadership abilities in editorial management and planning. Ability to assume full editorial responsibility and be trusted to exercise good judgment in sensitive situations,
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to act as an editor responsible for the overall output and cross-platform editorial control. Capable of supervising web, multimedia and radio production in terms of both, content and production quality,
- Ability to deliver fast, accurate and compelling copy production,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines,
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups, Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements,
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice,
- Expected to work weekends and work from home, as and when required,
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations and international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure,
- Organization & planning skills at a managerial level,
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus.
- Romanian – fluent,
- Russian – proficient,
- English – written and spoken working knowledge.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.