Editor shapes each day's content, from idea generation through to editing the final product. The incumbent manages the team's work activities and sets objectives. Sound news judgment stemming from years of experience in journalism, an ability to work cooperatively under pressure and a commitment to nurture correspondents are required. An absolute commitment to journalistic impartiality should guide editors from start to finish.
- In cooperation with other senior staff in the Bureau, helps plan the Service agenda. Engages in idea generation with writers on the team, finalizes assignments, supervises their completion and edits and issues the final product in a timely manner
- Writes and edits the content prior to any publishing on our website. News Editor serves as the primary editorial filter for news related topics that is generated for our sites.
- Maintains good journalism practices and writing skills. Strives to present material in an imaginative and original way. Is detail oriented with a deep understanding of news priorities.
- Focuses on compelling storytelling, relevant to our audience.
- Works closely with digital and social media editors, with broadcasters and suggest your own pitches and story ideas.
- Assigns reporters to coverage of important events, stories or projects, to assist in generating new content or develop ideas.
- Responds quickly to developing news stories to find appropriate guests and contributors.
- Generates ideas and execute them effectively and efficiently.
- Final product can include, but is not limited to, full-length web features, interviews, explainers, analyses, blogs, captions, video scripts, news stories.
- Works closely with the Managing Editor and the Bureau Chief to supervise a team of news writers and reporters, providing feedback, managing the team's work activities, and setting objectives.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Must keep up with world news and developments in RFE/RL broadcast region.
- Should cultivate one or more specialty beats.
- Editors are encouraged and expected to work closely with language service broadcasters and to suggest their own pitches and story ideas.
- In addition to working regular shifts, the editor is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by the Service Director or Bureau senior managers.
- Attends editorial meetings and takes part in informal discussions.
- Participates readily in training to update his/her digital and technical skills, and is keen to develop and widen them (multiskilling) embracing new technologies.
- Developing, networking and maintaining an extensive and up-to-date database of contacts (particularly analysts, guests, experts and others) that covers different areas of expertise across the world.
- Shows continuous commitment to achieving the most efficient and cost-effective use of resources to enhance the Service’s online impact.
- Trains and mentors local and regional journalists as required.
- Takes part in relevant training sessions offered by RFE/RL’s Training department to improve her/his performance.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education in Journalism or related field.
- Extensive experience in news and feature journalism, as both a reporter and an editor, including on digital platforms - 5 years minimum
- Solid grounding in TV and web production, editing and posting on digital platforms.
- Knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the country and the broader region through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, and to motivate others towards the achievement of common goals, while managing limited resources in an efficient manner.
- First rate news judgment employing balance and accuracy in reporting techniques.
- Proven ability to work quickly and efficiently to solve technical and operational problems under tight deadlines .
- Thorough knowledge of the news needs in the broadcast area. Capable of assessing news reports from multiple news agencies and own sources.
- Broadcast region language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, intermediate level, mandatory
- Russian – proficient
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.