Student Interns will engage with seasoned Washington, DC-based professionals for firsthand insight into RFE/RL’s mission as a prominent, international multimedia organization serving audiences in 27 languages and 23 countries in Eastern and Southeastern Europe, Eurasia, the Near East, and Central Asia. Through this experience, you will develop valuable practical skills and real-world knowledge applicable to future opportunities in international journalism and international relations. Internships are highly competitive and unpaid; however, they offer more than just work experience – providing a sense of purpose, engaging connections to other like-minded individuals, and the chance to contribute to an exciting media legacy.
Central News interns in the Washington, DC office assist with a variety of initiatives, including but not limited to news writing, monitoring speeches, hearings, briefings, and digital communications work. Interns will work alongside RFE/RL’s three Washington-based journalists in order to gain the widest possible perspective on some of the most intriguing work in the U.S. capital. The student intern will have the opportunity to write short-spot news articles on a daily basis and work on at least one longer writing project over the course of the internship.
The Washington Central News internship is available to students who are able to obtain their own accommodation in the Washington D.C. area. The internship position is available for the summer of 2024. The successful applicant will be prepared to come to RFE/RL’s offices at least four days per week and dedicate at least 20 hours per week to the internship, including remote/virtual activity that is coordinated in advance with your mentor. The intern must be prepared to work in a fast-paced communications and public affairs operation. Due to the learning curve, we expect prospective candidates to be willing to devote at least 12 weeks to the internship or the equivalent of an academic semester.
What we are ideally looking for:
- passion for journalism and current affairs
- strong interest in the history and mission of RFE/RL
- diligent writer, editor, and presenter
- strong time management and organizational skills
- willingness to learn and innovate
You will learn:
- about the work of Central News in Washington, DC, and practical public and governmental affairs skills
- news writing and how to cover speeches, hearings, briefings, and digital communications work
- about promoting press freedom, defending endangered journalists, and shaping stakeholder opinion
- about engaging with congressional staff
- about best practices in digital mission-driven communications
Minimum requirements are:
- Enrolled university student or recent graduate – must be in good standing.
- An educational background and/or experience in journalism, communications, political science, international relations, or related field
- Native-level English fluency
- Interest and awareness in news and current affairs from RFE/RL’s broadcast regions
- Communication and policy skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to multitask and work independently
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.