The Digital Forensics Editor reports to the Enterprise Editor in RFE/RL’s Central Newsroom. He/she supports and contributes to digital investigative work produced by RFE/RL’s Central News and Language Services. The Digital Forensics Editor is skilled at verifying documents, video, and images shared with us or obtained from open sources. He/she demonstrates experience and skill in a range of digital-sleuthing techniques, including geolocation, image/video/audio/document verification, data preservation, corroboration and cross-referencing, and satellite-imagery analysis. This editor also contributes his/her skills to assist RFE/RL’s Services in remote reporting techniques to significantly augment our ability to tell impactful stories from afar. He/she is also responsible for creating verification workflows that result in stories for RFE/RL newsrooms.
The incumbent has a nose for a good story and is able to quickly identify whether a piece of audio or visual evidence could lead to impactful stories for RFE/RL’s audiences. He/she has an ability to work creatively and cooperatively under pressure and an absolute commitment to journalistic impartiality. Coding skills and a firm grasp of datavisual storytelling are also desirable.
The Digital Forensics Editor works closely with the Enterprise Editor in supporting digital investigative work by RFE/RL’s Language Services as well as spearheading investigations led by the Central Newsroom.
- Take assignments to assist RFE/RL’s Services in verification of user-generated content or open-source data
- Keep up with world news and developments in RFE/RL’s countries
- Be ready to work closely on digital investigations with RFE/RL’s Enterprise Editor and RFE/RL Language Services
- Manage central list of shared tools and services to digital-forensic analysis
- Pinpoint how digital evidence can lead to compelling story angles that offer unique value to the audience
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
BA degree in Journalism, IT, Communications, or related field, or the equivalent in experience.
- Minimum two years’ journalism experience with track record of digital-investigative work.
- General knowledge of the RFE/RL’s countries.
- Familiarity and experience in dealing with open- source technology solutions.
- Familiarity using command line tools and basic scripting to analyze data (Python and SQL skills desirable)
- Knowledge of computer-assisted reporting, incl. multimedia verification and other related tools for geolocation and information authentication
- With minimal supervision, deliver quality and timely work that supports journalistic impartiality and accuracy
- Ability to take direction while working under pressure
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice
- Discipline and experience of working under deadline
- In addition to working regular shifts is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by a supervisory editor.
- English language (Mandatory)
- Russian or another relevant language (Desirable)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.