RFE/RL's mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. RFE/RL reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
RFE/RL’ Russian Service, widely known as Radio Svoboda in Russia, is seeking the Managing Editor who believes in the mission of RFE/RL and the impact of high-quality editorial work. You will join and lead high-qualify professional team with utmost professional reputation,
70 years of bright legacy, well-established in all journalistic platforms and all newest journalistic formats. Your job will be to oversee content production, develop coverage strategy, and provide editorial feedback on content for all platforms. The ideal candidate is confident in their ability to ensure that all news programs and content projects are running smoothly and adhering to the highest of standards. The Managing Editor will work under the guidance of the Russian Service Director and will be responsible for setting the agenda, laying the groundwork and owning the strategy and execution on impactful and innovative content. We value accurate, timely, impartial and balanced journalistic production that will enable us to provide the best possible content.
What you’ll accomplish:
- Set the daily and weekly agenda and plan future coverage, including breaking news, interviews, features, investigative reports, etc.
- Support and provide daily editorial guidance to journalistic teams, ensure proper balance, establish editorial style guides, and guarantee adherence to RFE/RL standards of ethical journalism
- Supervise the senior news and feature editors, senior multimedia editors, senior digital editor, and senior regional editor establishing that finished products are of high quality, balanced, and ready for air
- Expand and retain digital audiences through efficient use of technical resources
- Proactively identify organizational and team structure issues so as to ensure an optimal use of staff and resources
- Develop impactful promotional and marketing campaigns
- Remain prepared for future coverage opportunities, coordinate with the Service Director on news coverage strategies, and host editorial meetings, weekly look-ahead meetings and regular meetings with showrunners
- Work with RFE/RL Academy and Human Resources to ensure that staff members are properly trained and compliant with code of ethics, copyright, and fair use requirements
- Work alongside RFE/RL language services to ensure efficient sharing and distribution of content
- Perform other related duties as assigned, create own content and host website on shifts, when appropriate
What you bring:
- Master’s degree in journalism, international relations or related field
- 10+ years experience in media industry
- Proven experience essential in both RFE/RL regions and international media
- Deep knowledge of political, economic and social issues in RFE/RL’s broadcast regions and relevant international news events
- Extensive knowledge of journalistic and editorial standards and values that must be applied to news operation work
- Possess broad knowledge of television/video/audio production
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, strategic vision, and an acute understanding of tactical planning
- Display strong problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Manage project funds effectively
- Exhibit ability to think both creatively and analytically
- Possess excellent time management and multi-tasking skills
- Capable of traveling for work-related events
- Knowledge of new technological developments in media
- Russian native language level mandatory
- Proficient in English language mandatory
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.