The Balkan Service of RFE/RL is seeking an innovative, entrepreneurial, collaborative Editor of its new Digital Forensics Unit to direct investigative reporting on the intersection of digital technologies, accountability and power. The Editor will aim to create a team that starts important conversations on the role of technology in mis- and disinformation and the impact of technology on people’s lives and the public debate.
You will lead a small, self-directed team that pursues such impactful reporting, and will be responsible for the team’s editorial choices, planning, reporting, production and publishing across platforms.
You should be invested in the success of your team and be able to carry out other members’ tasks when needed. We are a team that places high value on collaboration. You communicate proactively with stakeholders across various teams, Services and Divisions to ensure that published content meets expectations across platforms.
You must have a good eye for presentation, in particular augmenting text with photos, videos, and background material. You must also make sure that our journalistic rigor in terms of accuracy and standards is applied to our storytelling across all platforms.
You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in digital journalism, esp. The debunking of disinformation – and be keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling and audience development.
A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required.
The Editor will report to the Belgrade Bureau Chief. The position is based in Belgrade, Serbia.
- Lead the team’s unique investigative and explanatory journalism, cultivating deep collaboration between (data) journalists, and investigative reporters, as well as across the organization.
- Hold the newsroom to the highest ethical standards and create a culture of cooperation and inclusiveness
- Understand, champion, and help shape initiatives to ensure the team maximizes the Service’s reach and impact
- Help build and maintain strategic relationships with reporting and publishing partners
- Work with the best news nerds at and outside of RFE/RL on some of the biggest and most innovative projects in investigative and data journalism
- You will support the growth, goal setting, professional development, and performance of staff
- If requested, you take on writing, editing, and production assignments
You perform related work as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- Familiarity in coding is desirable
- 10+ years of experience in digital journalism in news organization
- 5+ years of experience managing complex teams
- Extensive experience in project management
- Extensive experience in publishing projects across platforms
- Experience in positions of increasing responsibility
- Editorial fearlessness and unimpeachable news judgment
- Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic
- Enthusiasm for shepherding complex, data-driven stories
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements.
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice.
- Expected to work weekends and work from home, as and when required.
- Familiarity with data journalism and video editing are a plus.
- Deep understanding of social and political conditions in the Western Balkans.
- Serbian language, mandatory.
- English language, mandatory.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.