RFE/RL Balkan Service announces selection process for Bureau Chief of its Pristina Bureau. Reporting to the Service Director, Bureau Chief is responsible for all output content from bureau staff and contributors in the broadcast area, and for leading the team to increase impact. In all areas of his/her responsibilities the Bureau Chief takes direction from the Service Director and carries out his/her duties as delegated by the Service Director.
- Leads the daily editorial meetings with staff to elicit and identify coverage.
- Coordinates planning with Prague, striving for efficiency in the use of journalistic resources and capacity. Uses advanced English in journalistic information-gathering work, and in communication with Prague. Alerts the Service Director to stories of wider interest, and ensures timely delivery to Prague of translated stories.
- Maintains RFE/RL editorial standards of output on all platforms (e.g. radio, TV, online, SMS), ensuring quality and timeliness of all contributions.
- Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance to local audiences.
- Develops, provides editorial guidance for, and supervises the Service’s online input from the bureau.
- Sets expectations for staff for best practice journalism. Monitors and gives guidance on work in progress, and gives immediate, fair, and constructive feedback to journalists and journalistic support staff. Holds regular postmortems of broadcasts.
- Sets and enforces deadlines and contribution length.
- Monitors the electronic and online media environment in the field of operation in order to ensure suitability of the Service's output to the local media culture.
- Produces journalistic material across all platforms as necessary.
- Participates as required as an RFE/RL journalist and chief editor in suitable local broadcast programs and in the press.
- Schedules all staff, aiming for efficiency in all bureau resources (manpower, equipment, financial).
- Develops the team: recruits and motivates staff, identifies individual and team training needs, helps with training, carries out annual performance reviews.
- Leads the team in making use of suitable new production and delivery methods in line with developing technologies.
- Takes the lead in creating a supportive environment, encouraging initiative, participation, and open communication within the team.
- Builds awareness of, and identification with, RFE/RL’s mission.
- Is responsible for facilitating work process of local staff from other services should they be present in the bureau
- Consults/coordinates with Bureau Technology employee if applicable to ensure continuous mutual support.
- Participates in negotiation, signing of office lease contracts and office related contracts with vendors in coordination with the Bureau Administrator and the BFA. Selection and provision of local employment and other contracts in coordination with the Bureau Administrator and Service Director, BFA and HR in Prague.
- Acts, as requested by the Service Director, as ambassador for RFE/RL in the local political and media environment to enhance RFE/RL's good reputation and standing.
- Monitors and reports references to RFE/RL in the local media.
- Actively seeks out and identifies rebroadcast/joint production/program participation opportunities in the local media in line with the Service's approved "road map".
- Takes responsibility for developing own management skills.
- In conjunction with the Service Director manages personnel related activities (hiring decisions, merit increases, promotions, reassignments, conduct/performance issues) with appropriate involvement of the HR Department at the Broadcasting Headquarters in Prague
- Responsible for overseeing bureau financial activities including signing off bureau purchases, business orders and trips, expenses, bank account transactions, property maintenance receipts; managing cash flow with respects to bureau operational services and staff payroll - all in compliance with locale laws and RFE/RL policies and procedures.
Performs other related duties as required.
- Journalism or related field
- Adequate journalistic experience, ideally in an international multimedia organization.
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure
- Experience working with digital media.
- Team management experience
- Ability to work with others on a team - be a team player, who can interact and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegues, and yet demanding work environment.
- Broadcast region language - Proficient
- English language - Proficient
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.