RFE/RL's Balkan service announces a selection process for experienced Journalist to join our team in Belgrade bureau.
RFE/RL Journalists initiate, prepare, produce, and deliver wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms (Radio, TV, online, social media, printed…) as assigned, relevant to the target audience and to RFE/RL mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards. RFE/RL journalistic jobs are versatile and cover wide range of tasks and activities. Employees may need to acquire knowledge of and focus on different areas for their assignments or projects while in the same job and while being flexible in terms of time and location. Versatility and ability to flexibly respond to challenges of the fast changing world while maintaining the integrity and recognized quality of RFE/RL journalism are key to success for both RFE/RL and its employees.
- Creates original content on a wide variety of topics and issues, from bulletins and dispatches to features and analyses for relevant platforms. If editor of a program, prepares running order. Adapts content as necessary. Translates according to the language proficiency.
- Works as field correspondent and reporter on assignment, determining focus of reports.
- Conducts interviews in the studio, by telephone, or in the field. When able to draw on specialist knowledge, be ready to be interviewed or provide expertise as required.
- Moderates, delivers live, blogs, records, contributes, inputs online, shoots photos and video as required, coordinates other staff, sound and camera crews as necessary.
- Produces live, recorded, online, printed, etc. content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
- Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the target area. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
- Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
- Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
- May act as an editor responsible for an output segment, e.g. radio or TV program or program stream, website, blog, newspaper, etc., as appropriate for the given platform and as applicable. Commissions, selects, and edits the relevant material.
- May be required to assume responsibility for program/organization unit budget.
- Expected to explore innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
- Takes part, as required, in programs by local media and develops contacts for both journalistic work and RFE/RL reputation.
- Contributes to intra-Broadcasting program analyses.
- Is familiar with the Service’s output on all platforms and by contributing viable, creative suggestions in editorial meetings strives to increase Service’s impact.
- May be assigned partial or complete responsibilities of the organization unit leader in maintaining output quality, managing the team, and implementing effective and efficient use of resources.
- If assigned people responsibilities, monitors and gives guidance on work in progress, and gives immediate, fair and constructive feedback to journalists and to support staff. Coaches, trains, and mentors less experienced colleagues and contributes to creating and maintaining a supportive working environment.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism or related field MA - Master degree (Mandatory)
- Experience as a journalist. 8-10 years
- Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- History of successful handling of progressively challenging assignments, including substantial editorial experience.
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management system options - capable of posting and editing text and photos, making photo galleries, posting and editing videos, program scheduling, and mastering Internet TV.
- Able to manage assigned staff. Able to provide extended coaching and on-going mentoring to junior staff when required.
- Advanced level of English. Reliably translates current affairs texts from English into native language and vice versa and to provide subject matter expertise in English if applicable.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
- Displays innovative, creative, cross-platform approach to journalism in own work and in influencing others, resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Evidence of creative handling of subjects in content and in form in own work and on any platform.
- Has a good understanding of the challenges facing the Service and contributes to in-Service strategic thinking and plans.
- Possesses comprehensive content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best practice journalism. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated one or more specific beats, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines.
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to take responsibility for an output segment or for organization unit’s output on one or more platforms, e.g. radio, TV or website. Proved sufficient leadership qualities in editorial tasks. Can be relied upon to exercise good judgement in sensitive situations. Capable of supervising radio, web, and multimedia production in terms of both content and production quality.
- Takes responsibility for own professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to the assignment.
- Broadcast region language Native (Mandatory)
- English language Working Knowledge Oral+Written (Mandatory)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.