Under the supervision of the Managing Editor / Head of the Unit the Senior News Editors shapes each day's content, from idea generation through to editing the final product, so that it reaches new audiences, deepening loyalty and building trust. He/she manages the team's work activities and set objectives. The incumbent has sound news judgment stemming from years of experience in journalism, an ability to work cooperatively under pressure and a commitment to nurture team members. He/she should be able to carry out all functions of other editors on the team. He/she communicates proactively with stakeholders across various divisions and teams, including writers and editors, to ensure that that news output, information and features are balanced, accurate, and conform to RFE/RL policy and the highest standards of journalism. He/she works closely with a team to meet daily publishing deadlines. The incumbent is keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in journalism – and is keen to pursue innovative forms of storytelling across platforms. A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required.
- In cooperation with other senior staff, helps to plan the Service agenda, engages in idea generation with writers on the team, finalize assignments, supervises their completion, edits and issues the final product in a timely manner.
- Writes and edits the content prior to any publishing, serving as the primary editorial filter for news related topics that is generated for our platforms.
- Maintains good journalism practices and writing skills, strives to present material in an imaginative and original way, are detail oriented with a deep understanding of news priorities.
- Focuses on compelling storytelling, relevant to our audience.
- Assigns writers to coverage of important events, stories or projects, to assist in generating new content or develop ideas.
- Responds quickly to developing news stories to find appropriate guests and contributors.
- Works closely with the Managing Editor to supervise a team of news and feature writers, providing feedback, managing the team's work activities, and setting objectives.
- Keeps deadlines and strive to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Keeps up with world news and developments in RFE/RL broadcast region.
- Cultivates one or more specialty beats.
- Is encouraged and expected to work closely with digital and social media editors, with broadcasters and suggest his own pitches and story ideas.
- In addition to working regular shifts, is expected to be available during important, breaking news events, and work as assigned by the Service Director or Managing Editor.
- Develops networking and maintain an extensive and up-to-date database of contacts (particularly analysts, guests, experts and others) that covers different areas of expertise.
- Participates readily in training to update your digital and technical skills, be keen to develop and widen them (multiskilling) embracing new technologies.
- Is ready to train and mentor local and regional journalists as required.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred
- Minimum 7 years of extensive experience in news and feature journalism, as both a reporter and an editor, including on digital platforms,
- Experience in effectively supervising others,
- Experience in positions of increasing responsibility,
- Strong reporting and editing background,
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the operating area as well as international affairs,
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment is preferred.
- Strong news judgment,
- Team-based work ethic,
- Proved leadership abilities in editorial management and planning. Ability to assume full editorial responsibility and be trusted to exercise good judgment in sensitive situations,
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to act as an editor responsible for the overall output and cross-platform editorial control. Capable of supervising web, multimedia and radio production in terms of both, content and production quality,
- Ability to deliver fast, accurate and compelling copy production,
- Ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision under tight deadlines,
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements,
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice,
- Expected to work weekends and work from home, as and when required,
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations and international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure,
- Organization & planning skills at a managerial level,
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus.
- Macedonian language, native level
- English - written and spoken working knowledge
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.