RFE/RL's Balkan service announces a selection process for a position of News Writer/Reporter to join our teams in Sarajevo bureau.
News Writer writes and reports well-structured news items. Excellent writing ability, speed, accuracy, attention to detail and fact-checking experience as a journalist are essential. News Writer is able to work efficiently under pressure and as a collaborative team member, delivering a wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms, as assigned by the Bureau Chief, Managing Editor and Service Director. Versatility and an ability to flexibly respond to the challenges of a fast-changing world while maintaining the integrity and recognized quality of RFE/RL journalism are key to success for both RFE/RL and its employees.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Writes and reports original news items on a wide variety of topics and issues for digital platforms. Adapts content as necessary. Translates as required from English to Broadcast language.
- May be assigned as a field correspondent and reporter to cover news events.
- Conducts interviews by telephone, online or in the field.
- Produces live, recorded, online, printed, or visually-oriented content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
- Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the target area. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under pressure and as a collaborative team member. Respects deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
- Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
- Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
- Expected to explore innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
- Contributes to intra-Broadcasting program analyses.
- Is familiar with the Service’s output on all platforms [TV, online, social media, radio] and by contributing viable, creative suggestions in editorial meetings strives to increase Service’s impact.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism or related field MA - Master degree
- Experience as a journalist, minimum 5 years
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management system options - capable of posting and editing text and photos.
- Advanced level of English. Reliably translates current affairs texts from English into native language and vice versa and to provide subject matter expertise in English if applicable.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
- Displays innovative, creative, cross-platform approach to journalism in own work and in influencing others, resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Possesses comprehensive content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best practice journalism. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated one or more specific beats, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines.
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to take responsibility for an output segment or for organization unit’s output on one or more platforms, e.g. radio, TV or website.
- Takes responsibility for own professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to the assignment.
- Broadcast region language Native level (Mandatory)
- English language Working Knowledge Oral+Written (Strongly desired)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.