Radio Europa Libera Romania is looking for an experienced Managing Editor. Reporting to the Service Director, the Managing Editor is primarily responsible for the language service’s daily delivery of high quality, impactful, innovative and editorially sound content that is on time, factually accurate, impartial, balanced, moderate, and non-polemical in tone. The incumbent is responsible for planning and implementing content for language service on all platforms and making sure content adheres to RFE/RL’s Professional Code and industry standards.
- Together with Service Director, sets daily news agenda and plans ahead for future news coverage, including breaking news, interviews, features, and investigative pieces.
- Has direct supervisory responsibility over all editors. Keeps track of delivery progress for stories, trouble shoots, demands changes/fixes to finished stories as necessary.
- Makes the weekly schedule of editors and writers who will be on duty in Prague and, jointly with bureau chief, for editors and writers in bureau.
- Participates with Service Director in hiring and promotion process for editors and writers.
- Ensures editors’ and writers’ compliance with editorial standards in cooperation with RFE/RL Standards Editor.
- Together with Service Director, identifies staff training needs and arranges for targeted training programs with Training Department.
- May work as correspondent or moderator or in other capacities to produce original work as other duties permit.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism, international relations or related field MA - Master degree
- Progressive working experience in a daily newsroom 10+ years;
- Management experience in a newsroom, which includes managing staff, and organizing work processes, mentoring and team-building in a fast-paced environment 5+ years.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills;
- Demonstrates strategic vision, and understanding of tactical planning;
- Communicates clearly and effectively;
- Capable of building teams;
- Exhibits strong problem-solving skills;
- Exhibits familiarity with industry standards;
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure;
- Demonstrates knowledge of current media market trends;
- Manages funds effectively to support a project;
- Exhibits ability to think both creatively and analytically;
- Possesses excellent time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Is willing and able to travel for work-related events;
- Knowledge of new technological developments in media.
- Possesses broad knowledge of television/video production, desirable.
- Romanian language Native level
- English language, Working knowledge (Mandatory)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the law (no. 101/2000 Sb. regarding personal data protection). This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle zákona č. 101/2000 Sb., o ochraně osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.