We are looking for a Managing Editor to be based in our Kyiv Bureau. You will be responsible for all editorial aspects of the Ukrainian Service’s journalistic production, across all units and platforms, including video, audio and digital production, ensuring delivery of high quality, impactful, innovative and editorially sound content that is on time, factually accurate and balanced. Working closely with all unit editors, you will set the daily news agenda and commission longer-term content, ensuring that it adheres to RFE/RL standards. You will keep in constant touch with unit editors to track the progress of content production and troubleshoot when needed. In a breaking news situation, you - in coordination with the Service Director and unit managers – will decide which journalists and editors may be re-assigned to ensure fast and efficient coverage. You will provide editorial guidance on sensitive issues and lead regular post mortems to discuss editorial successes and shortcomings. Reporting to the Service Director based in our headquarters in Prague, you will act as an essential link at all times between the Service Director and the service’s editorial team and represent the Service Director on editorial issues in his/her absence.
- Together with Service Director, sets the daily news agenda. Supports and provides daily editorial guidance to the team focusing on a given country. Ensures proper news balance. Establishes editorial style guides and ensures adherence to professional and corporate standards.
- Coordinates closely with Service Director on day-to-day production to ensure activities are running according to schedule and efficient use of people power.
- Supervises the work of content producers to ensure that finished products are of high quality, balanced, carefully edited, and ready for air.
- Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities. Coordinates with Service Director on coverage strategies. Hosts daily editorial meetings and weekly look-ahead meetings.
- Together with the Service Director and unit managers, develops and implements the Service strategy for different markets and platforms. Reviews analytic data to identify opportunities and tactics; participates in content evaluations and strategy sessions with the aim of setting targets for growth or impact.
- Coordinates with HR, Administration, and the Service Director to ensure timely processing of evaluations. Arranges interns, interviews potential job talent and industry professionals to determine their fit for a position.
- Together with IBB, informs outside partners of any change in production or new content offerings.
- Together with Service Director ensures usage of proper graphic and brand use over digital platforms.
- Together with Service Director, works compatibly with RFE/RL language services, bureaus, and VOA to ensure efficient sharing and distribution of content.
- Together with the Service Director manages personnel related activities (hiring decisions, merit increases, promotions, reassignments, conduct/performance issues) with appropriate involvement of the HR Department at the Broadcasting Headquarters in Prague. Keeps the Bureau Chief updated on these decisions at all times.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism, international relations or related field MA - Master degree
- Progressive working experience in a daily newsroom 10+ years;
- Management experience in a newsroom, which includes managing staff, and organizing work processes, mentoring and team-building in a fast-paced environment 5+ years.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills;
- Demonstrates strategic vision, and understanding of tactical planning;
- Communicates clearly and effectively;
- Capable of building teams;
- Exhibits strong problem-solving skills;
- Exhibits familiarity with industry standards;
- Broad, thorough and detailed knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure;
- Demonstrates knowledge of current media market trends;
- Manages funds effectively to support a project;
- Exhibits ability to think both creatively and analytically;
- Possesses excellent time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Is willing and able to travel for work-related events;
- Knowledge of new technological developments in media.
- Possesses broad knowledge of television/video production, desirable.
- Ukrainian language, Proficient (Mandatory)
- English language, Working knowledge (Mandatory)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the law (no. 101/2000 Sb. regarding personal data protection). This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle zákona č. 101/2000 Sb., o ochraně osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy notice for applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to regulations imposed on RFE/RL in order to finance its operations and due to contractual arrangements between RFE/RL and USAGM set up in its Grant Agreement, RFE/RL must ensure that every candidate, who enters into the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL undergoes a pre-employment check from public sources and a background security investigation/check after the acceptance of RFE/RL´s offer letter.
With respect to the above, all applicants are informed that:
• RFE/RL may use information from public sources during its selection process to perform one-time pre-employment checks which are conducted by RFE/RL; personal data (mainly name, surname, address, date of birth, personal identification number, telephone number, e-mail address ) will be collected and processed by RFE/RL for a maximum period of one year.
• Employment at RFE/RL is contingent upon the successful completion of a background security investigation/check performed after the acceptance of RFE/RL´s offer letter. Information about the collection and processing of personal data in this matter will be provided together with the offer letter.