RFE/RL launches a project that will center on seeing life through Ukrainian refugees' eyes. It will give a comprehensive understanding of the lives of Ukrainian refugees, and address their hopes, concerns, and questions they have on how to navigate their new lives. The project will pay particular attention to the plight and information needs of families with children.
We are looking for a Lviv-based Executive Editor leads the journalistic and editorial operation of the of the Refugee Desk for increased impact, setting editorial direction. You will develop, provide editorial guidance for, and supervises the journalistic output. Sets expectations for staff for best practice journalism, guarding journalistic integrity and objectivity. Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance to local audiences and their engagement.
A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. Adherence to our professional standards and best practices is required.
- Responsible for editorial content of the Desk. Initiates, develops, produces, and edits news, current affairs, PKGs, segments and other products to the highest editorial standards.
- Supervises production for editorial and visual accuracy, style and thoroughness of reporting. As needed, edits news copy, PKGs, segments of program, intros and scripts pre-production to ensure accuracy, balance, context and continuity.
- Exercises excellent news judgment.
- Works with the team to assign reporters and producers contributing to the project to review production progress and approve material for broadcast, ensuring staff meet all deadlines.
- May coordinate editing, assigning camera operators, video editors and graphics artists to projects.
- Monitors and gives guidance on work in progress, and gives immediate, fair, and constructive feedback.
- Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
- Provides feedback and training to junior or less experienced journalists to improve the quality of reporting.
- Presents coverage ideas, looks far ahead on the calendar for future coverage opportunities, and special events coverage.
- Coordinates planning with other teams, striving for efficiency in the use of journalistic resources and capacity.
- Understands and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines.
- Initiates and participates in the post-promotion of the program on various platforms.
- Responds with flexibility to the location and time demands of journalistic work.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- University degree in journalism or equivalent news production experience.
- Substantial experience as a journalist in a daily broadcast news organization.
- History of successful production under deadline pressure.
- Deep understanding of target country politics and culture.
- Content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism. Has developed a network of original sources, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines. Proven editorial and production supervision of radio, web, and multimedia video production.
- Exercises sound news judgment and leadership qualities in editorial tasks and sensitive situations.
- Proven ability to produce innovative, creative, cross-platform journalism and storytelling that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism.
- Ability to produce, report and write for broadcast from a network of original sources, including short and long-form video reports.
- Consistently pitches original ideas resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Familiarity with political, economic, military and social issues in Ukraine as well as regional and international news events.
- Able to manage assigned staff, proactively providing support.
- Proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills-- a team player with ability to work effectively with individuals within and across teams. Able to provide staff with extended coaching and mentoring when required.
- Takes responsibility for personal professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and with training.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive, collegial working environment.
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management systems and a broadcast MAM.
- Has a good understanding of the challenges facing the Service and contributes to in-Service strategic planning.
- Ukrainian language is mandatory.
- English language (spoken and written), strongly desired.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.