We are looking for a Correspondent/Editor who will initiate, prepare, produce, and deliver wide variety of journalistic material on multiple platforms (radio, online, social media) as assigned, relevant to the service's target audience and to RFE/RL mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards.
- Creates original content on a wide variety of topics and issues, from short packages to features and analyses.
- Supervises a team of writers and reporters, providing feedback, managing the team's work activities, and setting objectives.
- May work as field correspondent and reporter on assignment, determining focus of reports.
- Conducts interviews in the studio or in the field. When able to draw on specialist knowledge, be ready to be interviewed or provide expertise as required.
- Moderates, delivers live, blogs, records, contributes, inputs online, coordinates other staff, as necessary.
- Produces live or recorded content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
- Reacts to breaking news developments and is ready to report live (with both scripted and ad libitum commentary) or produce recorded pieces at short notice. Ready to work on weekends and outside hours if required by the breaking news developments.
- Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to Ukraine. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
- Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
- Keeps deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
- Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
- Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
- Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
- Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism or related field MA - Master degree (Mandatory)
- Experience as a journalist. 8-10 years
- Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- History of successful handling of progressively challenging assignments, including substantial editorial experience.
- Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management system options - capable of posting and editing text and photos, making photo galleries, posting and editing videos, program scheduling, and mastering Internet TV.
- Able to manage assigned staff. Able to provide extended coaching and on-going mentoring to junior staff when required.
- Advanced level of English. Reliably translates current affairs texts from English into native language and vice versa and to provide subject matter expertise in English if applicable.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
- Displays innovative, creative, cross-platform approach to journalism in own work and in influencing others, resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Evidence of creative handling of subjects in content and in form in own work and on any platform.
- Has a good understanding of the challenges facing the Service and contributes to in-Service strategic thinking and plans.
- Possesses comprehensive content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best practice journalism. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated one or more specific beats, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines.
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to take responsibility for an output segment or for organization unit’s output on one or more platforms, e.g. radio, TV or website. Proved sufficient leadership qualities in editorial tasks. Can be relied upon to exercise good judgement in sensitive situations. Capable of supervising radio, web, and multimedia production in terms of both content and production quality.
- Takes responsibility for own professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to the assignment.
- English language, proficient level
- Ukrainian, Russian languages, native level
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.