RFE/RL announces selection process for Social Media Producer in the Uzbek Service in Prague. The Social Media Producer is responsible for identifying and producing share-worthy content and will act as the point of contact on social media journalism and user generated content. S/he will produce content by picking up trends on target language social media and User Generated Content (UGC) through enterprise discovery - finding those things that haven't yet been widely discovered and giving them editorial light. The Social Media Producer will produce content both for the website and for direct distribution on social platforms. S/he is responsible for editorial control, reporting, compilation and production of breaking news, original features and corroborating, further developing user generated content. S/he will also keep the team updated throughout the day on trending topics and other potential stories discovered through social media, including UGC.
- Produces original content in target language both for the website and for native sharing on social media, using and corroborating UGC.
- Uses journalistic acumen to find and develop stories also based on UGC, that are both likely to be shared and meet RFE/RL standards. Arrange daily live broadcasts on social media.
- Mines the web for news leads and develops news stories, widely using UGC. Establishes relationship with Uzbek Social media influencers to negotiate further distribution of Uzbek Service content.
- Works with web-ready news and feature content, mixing traditional story-forms with digital and social-centric reporting.
- Sustains activity on Ozodlik’s social media pages, including those in Russian. Keeps social media team updated throughout the day on trending topics and stories worth exploring, including UGC.
- Works with target language web editors to promote originally produced content across social media.
- Advises social media editor on planning for social and digital coverage.
- Works closely with the TV and web teams to adjust the TV-product for wider audiences on multiple platforms.
- Proposes and writes in-depth researched original feature content based also on corroborated UGC from targeted region.
- Writes, edits and produces long-term multimedia projects on the basis of researched and developed UGC.
- Works closely with other journalists for guiding and editing their stories.
- Introduces the best practices of other RFE/RL services and beyond.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Higher education in communications or journalism or related field or the equivalent in experience
- 3yrs experience producing content for the web or social media, previous work with UGC
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions
- Knowledge of social monitoring platforms like Tweetdeck, Topsy and Storyful, messaging apps like Whatsapp, Telegram, Imo, etc
- Strong news judgment is required
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure
- Excellent writing in a news environment and demonstrated ability to work with social and digital media to both find content and disseminate it.
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements.,
- Excellent teamwork and the ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision.
- Ability to balance multiple responsibilities and projects simultaneously and work under deadlines.
- Target language (Uzbek), mandatory
- English language (Proficient strongly desired)
- Russian language (Proficient strongly desired)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.