We’re hiring in Prague!
Our mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
RFE/RL is searching for a forward thinking and driven individual to become our next Deputy Head of External Affairs. Based in Prague, the new leader will have experience with change management and proven results in leading others in a fast-paced public relations team and news media environment. Your role will require you to develop and execute communications and public engagement strategies in order to maximize RFE/RL’s visibility and impact. The Deputy Head of External Affairs oversees the work of both the Prague and DC based EA teams. You will be expected to liaise with leadership and teams across the organization, as well as periodically travel to Washington D.C to establish and maintain a high degree of effectiveness. The Deputy Head of EA is also in charge of overall staff management, with a goal of deepening our understanding of needs throughout the company and ensuring efficient communications.
What you’ll accomplish:
- Identify, evaluate, and resolve issues relating to External Affairs Division performance, operations, and procedures
- Oversee managerial duties of the EA operations both in Prague and Washington, as well as outreach activities in bureaus
- Build ongoing relationships with EA management to establish work culture standards and identify developmental and training needs for personnel
- Direct and organize crisis communications
- Implement and manage a comprehensive annual communications/marketing plan and calendar for public and media relations, special events, and advocacy activities
- Identify, connect with, and monitor the EA team personnel and budget
- Support Head of External Affairs, Director of Communications, and Prague Communications Manager with services determining promotion opportunities, and develop strategies for placement of material
What you bring:
- 10+ years experience functioning in a similar deputy level role in journalism or public relations at a global organization, with a proven track record in leading on the development and implementation of innovative communication strategies
- 15+ years team management experience with progressively increasing responsibility
- B.A. in communications, journalism, international relations, or related field; proven academic success or the equivalent in experience
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in communication strategies, including communication policies development
- Thorough knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure
- Advanced experience drafting and editing clear, concise, and newsworthy media materials targeted at international, regional, or national media
- Demonstrated experience in crisis communications including familiarity with long term communications and campaign strategies that bring about measurable impact
- Ability to keep calm under pressure while managing multiple competing priorities and deadlines
- English language fluency plus target country languages (especially Czech, Russian, Ukrainian)
What we offer:
- A highly diverse international work environment made up of remarkable colleagues (60+ nationalities)
- An organization not driven by profit but by a very important mission: to promote democratic values and freedom of the press
- Exceptional benefits package (Multisport card, 13 sick days, 5 weeks’ vacation, public transport contribution, supplementary pension insurance, life insurance, in-house language courses, professional training, meal allowance)
- Modern work environment with convenient access to various public transit options near Želivského metro station
- Hybrid work environment that allows for a mix of remote work and in-office presence
Only CVs with cover letters in English stating in CZK your expected range of gross salary will be accepted.
To learn more about us please refer to our web page: https://pressroom.rferl.org/about-us
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.