The Communications Director of the External Affairs team based in Washington DC, will report to and work very closely with the Director of External Affairs to design and implement a communications strategy that will enhance the visibility of RFE/RL’s brand, through its broadcast programs, journalism, and history.
- Be responsible for tactical day-to-day oversight of the Communications team;
- Recruit and manage skilled communicators;
- Supervise media relations
- Ensure quality control of all information released
- Lead the team to shape and share stories through a digitally savvy, multimedia content strategy drawing on RFE/RL’s experts and resources
- Showcase compelling story-telling and output available on its multiple platforms
- Develop a comprehensive communications strategy
- Project a positive company brand to the public
- Identify, write, and edit a broad range of executive level communications for internal and external audiences globally, including speeches and talking points, op-eds/by-liners, newsletters, memorandums, letters, and other info
- develop related content including op/eds, by-liners, blogs, white papers, and briefing papers, to advance communications goals
- Design and develop standards for communications success.
- Develop and monitor metrics to measure reach and impact of communications and to identify areas of success and opportunity
- Cultivate an environment of readiness and alertness
- Maintain an awareness of company risks and threats
- Collaborate with the Director, External Affairs in developing response plans, scenario planning and may serve as point of contact in times of crisis management
- Perform related duties as needed or assigned including being on call occasionally, to deal with urgent media enquiries during evenings or weekends.
Bachelor's in advertising, communications, public/media relations, or related area of study, or the equivalent in experience
5+ years of experience working in communications or public relations
- Proven confidence to lead others and take charge in challenging situations
- Demonstrated excellence in writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to negotiate with and influence others
- Proven experience successfully placing opinions, editorials, or thought leadership pieces in outside publications.
- Proven experience in effectively using digital and social media platforms
- Proven time management ability to effectively plan, prioritize, document, and implement
- Ability to create and implement new initiatives and explore new strategies and technologies in the field of communications.
- Proven ability to take action in challenging and highly complex situations with ability to respond to rapidly changing circumstances
- Sincere commitment to the mission and work collaboratively with all constituent groups, our donor, oversight agency, funders, board members, including all levels of RFE/RL management and staff
- A high level of commitment, energy and enthusiasm for the mission and role
- A belief in the power of a free press to build a better future
- The ability to think and plan strategically
- First language level written and spoken English; demonstrated excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- RFE/RL target country language is a plus.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a D.C. basis only. Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of Washington D.C., or be willing to relocate. In some cases, if selected for a D.C.-based position from another part of the United States, RFE/RL would cover the costs of interview travel and relocation upon appointment. RFE/RL offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment check from public sources.
With respect to the above, all applicants are informed that:
RFE/RL may use information from public sources during its selection process to perform one-time pre-employment checks which are conducted by RFE/RL; personal data (mainly name, surname, address, date of birth, personal identification number, telephone number, e-mail address ) will be collected and processed by RFE/RL for a maximum period of one year.