The Media Officer is responsible for RFE/RL’s press engagement. Working closely with the Communications Director and RFE/RL’s Senior Leadership, the Media Officer will work to generate and respond to media coverage to educate and inform audiences about the Company’s mission. The Media Officer will also be responsible for drafting press releases, as well as op-eds and other public materials that contribute to demonstrating RFE/RL’s thought leadership. The Media Officer supports RFE/RL’s mission-profile and impact, by advising stakeholders as appropriate on best practices in media relations. This role is a vital member of the External Affairs team with visibility across RFE/RL’s operations.
- Support media outreach to advance overall communications goals;
- Draft, distribute, and post online press releases and other materials;
- Develop and maintain comprehensive press lists;
- Vet and respond to media inquiries and arrange interviews for identified spokespeople;
- Prepare and draft background materials for RFE/RL spokespeople in advance of media engagements and work to institutionalize a “rapid response” culture;
- Draft and place op-eds as directed;
- Draft talking points and other assigned written projects;
- Arrange and promote media events, including roundtables, briefings, and others;
- Identify opportunities for coverage of RFE/RL’s reporting and analysis;
- Contribute to training opportunities and identification of potential spokespeople;
- Provide internal advice and guidance on best media practices;
- Monitor media coverage and share analysis internally;
- Coordinate closely with the EA team and senior staff within RFE/RL;
- Develop working relationships with US and international media interested in RFE/RL’s work;
- Other tasks as assigned;
- Occasional on-call work outside standard business hours.
Must have a BA degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or a related field or the equivalent in experience.
- 2-3 years of experience with media relations at a think tank, NGO, the legislative or executive branches of government, a public affairs agency, political campaign, or trade association;
- Proven experience preparing and distributing press releases and other materials, particularly under tight deadlines;
- Demonstrable understanding of how media coverage can be achieved, particularly with US and international media, and evidence of achieving this on behalf of an organization;
- Proven experience handling press inquiries and organizing media events;
- Previous foreign policy or international development experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle media inquiries efficiently and with professionalism;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, high attention to detail, and strong organizational skills, including timeliness and accuracy;
- Knowledge of US and international media landscapes;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment with exceptional follow-through;
- Exercise sound judgement and discretion, and ability to manage highly-sensitive issues;
- Goal-oriented, with the ability to translate goals into strategic action;
- Self-starter comfortable working with a close-knit team; and
- Commitment to RFE/RL’s mission and media freedom.
Native-level written and spoken English; demonstrated excellent verbal and written communications skills.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a D.C. basis only. Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of Washington D.C., or be willing to relocate. In some cases, if selected for a D.C.-based position from another part of the United States, RFE/RL would cover the costs of interview travel and relocation upon appointment. RFE/RL offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment check from public sources.
With respect to the above, all applicants are informed that:
RFE/RL may use information from public sources during its selection process to perform one-time pre-employment checks which are conducted by RFE/RL; personal data (mainly name, surname, address, date of birth, personal identification number, telephone number, e-mail address ) will be collected and processed by RFE/RL for a maximum period of one year.