Current Time is a 24/7 international Russian-language television and digital network broadcasting in more than 20 countries, led by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in cooperation with Voice of America. We are looking for an Executive Producer to be responsible for the editorial and video production and to ensure quality is industry standard for Current Time new morning news program based in Kyiv. Working with the TV Anchor, the Executive Producer is a team leader, supervising the content creators who gather video, text, graphics and other elements for this daily Current Time News program.
The job requires working an early morning shift from 2:30 till 10:30.
- Exercises editorial control over the content creators who gather video, text, graphics and other elements for video programs.
- Determines the visual look of the program, the pacing and the content. Conceptualizes the program’s format, working with editorial and technical teams to ensure all production needs are addressed, including a coherent graphic look for the program, editorial transitions, content and program timing.
- Working with the host/anchor, decides whether the program segments will be reported as a live guest, discussion, package, voice-over, or a reporter on set. Assigns stories to reporters in the field
- Supervises Producers in bringing the program to air. Points out daily program production problems in the postmortem, providing constructive feedback regarding news coverage and programming. Assigns video editors to projects. Keeps track of production progress. Advises Multimedia Producers and Video Editors on best editing practices.
- Checks all story submissions for editorial accuracy and thoroughness of reporting. As needed, edits news copy, intros, scripts, and video elements before they head into production to ensure accuracy and continuity. Exercises news judgment and keeps track of what stories are in production and who is assigned to them. Works with staff to ensure problems do not become chronic.
- Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities. Presents coverage ideas and possibilities to Line Producer for discussion at daily and weekly editorial meetings.
- Understands and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines. Instructs anchors, multimedia producers, and correspondents on RFE/RL’s reporting practices and editorial guidelines.
- Works with other services at RFE/RL and possibly with other USAGM entities on news coverage. Pulls content from other services and pushes content out to other services. Coordinates coverage with other Service’s programs to ensure sharing of content and cross-promotion.
- Plans and executes special projects and shows on location and in the field working with hosts, correspondents, multimedia producers and technical staff. In addition to a regular program, the Executive Producer is expected, if assigned, to lead rolling news coverage at any time during important, breaking news events.
- University education in journalism or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- 8 years of experience as a journalist.
- At least 2 years of program budget control-related experience.
- TV Production experience.
- Substantial editorial experience in international media.
- Experience with live field reporting
- Strong control room skills in live remote programming.
- Familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- Content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism. Has developed a network of original sources, in addition to being capable of all-round reporting and writing. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines.
- Evidence of creative handling of subjects in content and in form in own work and on any platform.
- Displays innovative, creative, cross-platform approach to journalism in own work and in influencing others, resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to take responsibility for an output segment or for service’s output on one or more platforms, e.g. radio, TV, or, website.
- Proved sufficient leadership qualities in editorial tasks. Can be relied upon to exercise good judgment in sensitive situations. Capable of supervising radio, web, and multimedia production in terms of both, content and production quality.
- Able to manage assigned staff. Able to provide extended coaching and on-going mentoring to junior staff when required.
- Contributes to maintaining a positive working environment. Proactively provides support within and outside own team.
- Russian language, proficient level, mandatory
- Ukrainian language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, proficient level, mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.