Current Time is a 24/7 international Russian-language television and digital network broadcasting in more than 20 countries, led by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty in cooperation with Voice of America. We are looking for a TV Anchor/Journalist for our new morning news program based in Kyiv. You will be an integral member of the TV news production team and contribute journalistically to the content of the programs, relevant to the target audience and to RFE/RL mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards.
The job requires working an early morning shift from 04:00 till 12:00.
- Hosts TV news programs. Capable of preparing and planning for weekday shows, writes news segments, suggests guests and interviews for news and in-depth segments. Conducts in-studio, telephone, Skype, and field interviews.
- Writes her/his own news copy and edits intros supplied by reporters. Writes packages and collaborates with reporters in the field. Carries out in-depth research to a broad brief, preparing for interviews and show segments. May travel to the field.
- Presents coverage possibilities to the assigned program editor/producer for discussion at the daily editorial meeting and the weekly look-ahead meeting in close collaboration with the rest of the team.
- Understands and applies RFE/RL’s code of journalistic conduct and editorial guidelines. Checks script accuracy, facts, style, and thoroughness of his/her own reporting.
- Exercises good news judgment to keep track of what stories are topical. Looks far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities and works with planning on both the TV and the digital sides as required.
- Takes part in relevant training sessions offered by RFE/RL’s Training department to improve her/his performance.
- Adapts and develops a presentation style tailored for a specific program, medium or audience. Provides on-screen commentary during live events, both for TV and digital formats.
- Participates in channel and program promotional campaigns as requested by the management and contributes work to non-TV programming for digital platforms as needed.
- Provides reporting from the field in addition to interviews, special projects, and regular news and information packages.
- They work with assigned program editors/producer to ensure proper planning, production, and presentation of program output.
- Produces engaging content across digital platforms, to include social media, web and video formats. Finds innovative ways to tell complex stories to our audience, particularly in video formats, and also to appear him/herself in these videos.
- Writes, produces and stars in videos meant to explain trending or important topics to our TV and digital audiences.
- Anchors lead live breaking news coverage, if required, providing a confident and knowledgeable commentary, both scripted and ad libitum in case of a developing story.
- Serves as the permanent Anchor of a signature program, at the management decision.
- Provides feedback and training to junior or less experienced journalists including video journalists in an effort to improve the quality of reporting.
- Undergraduate BA degree in communications (journalism desirable), or related field or the equivalent in experience is preferred.
- Around 8 years of experience working in comparable journalism/editorial/TV production role in a news media organization
- At least 5 years of experience as an anchor, moderator, or TV host
- Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
- Must have understanding of TV production process and roles (especially in the studio).
- Must have excellent news judgment and a good understanding of both international news as well as regional developments in broadcast target area countries.
- Positive, professional demeanor; highly organized, dependable and motivated with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet challenging and changing deadlines.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral with ability to influence and express conceptual ideas.
- Proactive, can-do attitude, with excellent interpersonal skills-- a team player with ability to work effectively with individuals within and across teams.
- Able to provide extended coaching and on-going mentoring to junior staff when required.
- Sound editorial judgment, ability to take responsibility for an output segment or for organization unit’s output on one or more platforms, e.g. radio, TV or website. Proved sufficient leadership qualities in editorial tasks. Can be relied upon to exercise good judgement in sensitive situations.
- Takes responsibility for own professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
- Russian language, proficient level, mandatory
- Ukrainian language, proficient level, mandatory
- English language, proficient level, mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.