Reporting to Current Time Director, Managing Editor oversees Current Time’s television news production, sets the network’s TV news coverage strategy and goals, provides editorial feedback on news content, and manages resources. You will work closely with Current Time’s Operations Director, Managing Editor for Digital, and Sr. Creative Editor to ensure strong synergy among the network’s teams and efficient use and distribution of content.You will also work with Current Time Scheduling Manager making sure news programs stay on schedule. Managing Editor actively engages with RFE/RL language services, bureaus, Voice of America, and maintains cooperation and efficient sharing of content. You will be responsible for delivering high-quality, impactful, innovative, and editorially sound content that is timely, factually accurate, impartial, and balanced. You will be responsible for upholding editorial style guidelines for all news broadcasts and makes sure Current Time’s news content adheres to RFE/RL’s Professional Code and industry standards.
- Oversee TV news production in terms of day-to-day output and long-term planning. Set the daily and weekly news agenda and plan future news coverage, including breaking news, interviews, features, and investigative reports. Support and provide daily editorial guidance to TV news teams. Ensure proper balance, establish editorial style guides, and ensure adherence to RFE/RL standards of ethical journalism.
- Supervise executive producers of TV news programs and senior producers for planning and bureaus, ensuring that finished products are of high quality, balanced, carefully edited, and ready for air.
- Work with Current Time Director and fellow CT managers to ensure the production of high-quality content, efficient use of resources, cross-promotion, and effective distribution of content.
- Work with Current Time Director and Human Resources on relevant recruitment in order to attract and retain top-quality staff.
- Work with Current Time Director and Office Manager to ensure that TV news programs and projects are planned and produced under allocated budget.
- Develop breaking news and live news capabilities, ensure a high level of editorial and technical standards across all news programs.
- Work with CT Operations Director, RFE/RL Broadcast Operations, Technology to ensure the most efficient use of technical resources with the aim of expanding and retaining Current Time's television and online audiences.
- Be a team leader, mentor news content creators, evaluate the quality of programs, work with executive producers to streamline workflow and production cycles.
- Identify issues and take corrective action regarding the organization and team structure to make sure staff and resources are used to their best strengths in an optimal way.
- Participate in the development of promotional campaigns.
- Identify key on-air talent and develop them as key faces of the channel. Devising strategies of boosting their profile both on the channel and online.
- Provide timely, specific feedback to direct reports and make sure managers provide timely, constructive feedback to their direct reports. Address staff performance inadequacies in a timely manner.
- Working with Sr. Producer for Planning, look far ahead on the calendar for coverage opportunities. Coordinate with Current Time Director and across Current Time departments on coverage strategies. Host editorial meetings, weekly look-ahead meetings, regular meetings with showrunners.
- Ensure graphic continuity and proper brand use.
- Represent Current Time at RFE/RL’s editorial meetings.
- Work with Training and Human Resources to ensure that staff members are properly trained and compliant with code of ethics, copyright, and fair use requirements.
- Work compatibly with RFE/RL language services, bureaus, and VOA to ensure efficient sharing and distribution of content.
- Combination of education and experience
- Journalism, international relations or related field Master’s degree
- 10+ years management experience in TV industry. Proven experience essential in both RFE/RL regions and international media environment.
- Demonstrated competence in overseeing editorial content in multiple media platforms.
- Deep knowledge of political, economic and social issues in RFE/RL’s broadcast regions and relevance to international news events.
- Deep knowledge of journalistic and editorial standards and values that must be applied to the work of a news operation.
- Possesses broad knowledge of television/video production
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills;
- Demonstrates strategic vision, and understanding of tactical planning;
- Communicates clearly and effectively;
- Capable of building teams;
- Exhibits strong problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrates knowledge of current media market trends;
- Manages funds effectively to support a project;
- Exhibits ability to think both creatively and analytically;
- Possesses excellent time management and multi-tasking skills;
- Is willing and able to travel for work-related events;
- Knowledge of new technological developments in media.
- Russian language, Proficient (Mandatory)
- English language, Working knowledge (Mandatory)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.