RFE/RL's mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. RFE/RL reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
RFE/RL is seeking a Digital News Archive Department Manager who believes in the mission of RFE/RL and the impact of high quality media files and assets cataloguing. In this role you will be responsible for overseeing the design, development, and maintenance of daily and archived news content, including video, audio, music, text, and photo files within the Media Asset Management system (MAM) of our Dalet News Production System (NPS).
This management role involves hiring, training, and overseeing staff in Prague and multiple locations around the world. The manager must also ensure timely responses to requests for multimedia assets to support our journalists’ news reporting. Additionally, the manager will establish and maintain industry-leading metadata standards for the MAM database and provide leadership to the department.
You are expected to work in RFE/RL Prague’s office in a hybrid working model of a blend of in-office and remote work in the Czech Republic.
What you’ll accomplish:
• Develop internal procedures for building, organizing, and accessing video and multimedia files in the MAM for RFE/RL headquarters in Prague and the bureaus.
• Collaborate inside RFE/RL and with other outside organizations to create a control vocabulary across multiple languages and scripts.
• Manage an international team of librarians and media managers, including scheduling shifts, monitoring work, and providing performance feedback.
• Recruit and hire Archive Unit staff as needed.
• Design strategies for short and long-term storage of video files and RFE/RL video programs, as well as efficient deployment of the team’s human resources.
• Monitor, edit, maintain, and correct metadata in the MAM database.
• Stay informed on legal copyright issues and monitor RFE/RL video for potential copyright violations and keep management informed on all relevant issues.
• Conduct research and compile information in response to specific information requests.
• Assist and train users in accessing electronic databases and archives for research and information retrieval.
• Establish strong relationships with RFE/RL journalists, considering them as customers.
• Stay updated on news events in target areas.
Your Department Manager Duties:
• Provide leadership, mentorship, and guidance to department staff to foster a positive and productive work environment.
• Develop and implement department goals, strategies, and policies in collaboration with senior management.
• Oversee budget and resource allocation for the department, ensuring optimal use of available resources.
• Ensure compliance with organizational policies, industry standards, and legal requirements.
• Participate in the recruitment, selection, and onboarding of new employees.
• Conduct performance evaluations, provide constructive feedback, and identify opportunities for staff development.
• Foster a culture of innovation, creativity, and continuous improvement within the department.
What you bring:
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent in library science, information science, or related field. Journalism education is desirable.
• 5-8 years of experience in information services.
• Minimum of 3 years' experience with electronic resource metadata.
• Experience in a video/digital news gathering operation.
• Understanding of newsroom systems and familiarity with all aspect of news production, including media asset management systems (MAM).
• Basic video editing skills.
• Ability to work under deadline pressure.
• Strong management, team leadership, communication, and conflict resolution skills.
• Problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Quick adaptation to new complex subjects, including new technologies.
• Ability to work independently and accept supervision.
• Basic administrative skills (e.g., operating a personal computer, completing forms, and reports).
• Understanding and meeting internal or external customer needs in a helpful manner.
• Flexibility to work different hours.
• Native-level English proficiency.
• Russian language skills and/or language skills from our coverage area are desired.
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender,
gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability,
age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment
contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.