Our mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty seeks an Archive Video Librarian for its Prague Headquarters to select and catalog media files produced by RFE/RL, and to prepare these files for long-term archiving. As part of the Archives Unit, the Prague based Archives Video Librarian will report to the Manager of the RFE/RL Digital News Library in Prague.
The Archives Video Librarian in Prague will create original item and collection level catalog records in English and second languages where possible. The records created by the Archives Video Librarian will consist of descriptive, technical, and process metadata according to RFE/RL Archive Policies. The Archives Video Librarian must be familiar with global news subjects, and local news events relevant to one or more of RFE/RL’s various Language and Regional Services.
The Archives Video Librarian in Prague will perform and execute video research requests on the RFE/RL Archive Collection for customers across RFE/RL Language Services.
As part of the Prague based RFE/RL Archives Unit, the Video Librarian will work in daily conjunction and cooperation with other Archives Unit personnel, including Video Librarians and Media Managers, as well as key personnel from Operations and Editorial departments.
In concurrence with the Prague based RFE/RL Archives Unit, the Video Librarian will support and maintain Library Archive tools and workflows which span across RFE/RL Bureaus and Prague Production Teams.
What you’ll accomplish:
- The Archives Video Librarian in Prague is responsible for selecting and cataloging files originating from various locations and created by various RFERL Language Services. The Archives Video Librarian in Prague will utilize existing and future technology to track, document and describe media assets to be permanently saved in the Prague Archives.
- The Archives Video Librarian in Prague will demonstrate excellent news judgment in accordance with RFERL editorial standards and practices, and RFERL Archive Collection Policies, to select company assets for the historic and legal record.
- The Archives Video Librarian in Prague will create original catalog records in English and selected second languages where directed to do so. The Archives Video Librarian will also update, enhance and optimize existing records.
- The Archives Video Librarian in Prague will assist RFERL customers with Video Research Requests. Registers requests, communicates with the customer and fellow Archives personnel, budgets time and practices diligent time management between cataloging and research requests, responds to requests with efficiency and within deadlines.
- The Archives Video Librarian will support and contribute to data and record management procedures for analyzing and optimizing archive database assets and titles.
- The Archives Video Librarian will contribute to term management and building entity and subject specific taxonomies.
- The Archives Video Librarian will contribute to maintenance of internal Archives Unit documentation.
What you bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree [or equivalent] required in Library Science, Information or Records Management, Archives Management, or related field
- Experience in information services (1-2 years).
- Demonstrated experience with digital media metadata.
- Demonstrated education and/or experience using ontologies, taxonomies or thesauri, relational databases, indexing, controlled vocabularies, name and subject authorities.
- Experience with data migration/transformation/mapping/validating/harmonization; experience with ETL processes. [Preferred]
- Ability to critically research, analyze, extract, and compile data across systems; and to output and present data in an organized and formatted manner.
- Basic to intermediate proficiency in shell scripting; basic to intermediate knowledge of API integrations; basic to intermediate knowledge of SQL queries. [Preferred]
- Familiarity with or exposure to basic concepts of Artificial Intelligence as applied to Text, Audio/Video, Image analysis and optimization (Machine Learning, Modeling, Natural Language Processing, Speech/Image/Object Recognition, etc). [Preferred]
- Familiarity with Media/Digital Asset Management systems.
- Strong knowledge of news and media in our coverage regions.
- Experience working in a video news or media content production company.
- Ability to effectively communicate, carry out directives, lead groups and professionally maintain client-customer relationships in a diverse, inclusive, multi-lingual work environment.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure. Ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot and resolve problems.
- Basic video editing skills.
- Experience with MS Office and Office 365 Products (Word, Excel, Power Point, Share Point, Teams).
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed.
- English language, Advanced
- Second Language of RFERL Services from broadcast regions [Preferred]
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.