Current Time https://www.currenttime.tv/ is the leading independent Russian-language television channel, providing factual news, unbiassed reporting, and engaging video content to Russian-speaking audiences. We strive to ensure people have access to accurate information in places where such access may be limited by censorship, and freedom of speech may be under threat.
We are looking for a Web Editor for the Current Time DIGITAL department to be based in Riga and work with our team of dedicated editors responsible for producing and publishing compelling and engaging content for Current Time’s digital platforms, including website and social media.
As part of Current Time’s dedicated team for digital, you will produce content on mission-oriented and trending topics and play a key role in implementing an effective result-oriented news strategy on digital platforms. A commitment to RFE/RL’s mission, adherence to its editorial standards and best practices is a must.
You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time of rapid change. This job is an opportunity to explore the role RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with diverse ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in digital journalism. Working with the team of web editors – this entails editorial oversight and scheduling – you are expected to pursue innovative forms of storytelling across platforms. This position reports to the Sr. Web Editor of Current Time Digital.
What you’ll accomplish:
- Maintain and update the target audience website in a timely and professional manner, ensure meeting all deadlines; publish clean and compelling content;
- Edit materials and be responsible for editorial content of own work as well as that of other contributors;
- Edit packages originally produced for TV to publish them in form of articles on the website;
- Collaborate on adapting the web-content for social media use.
- Ensure that news stories are accurate and written according to RFE/RL’s standards, following company procedures;
- Work with freelance authors in the coverage region, commission and edit their stories;
- Coordinate coverage of breaking news and, when necessary, perform duties of a digital broadcaster;
- Respond to the audience e-mail comments/queries.
What you bring:
- A degree in journalism or related field (MA);
- Experience in online journalism, online writing, web editing;
- Experience of working in a fast-paced organization with tight deadlines (at least 5 years) and a broad knowledge of the broadcast area, as well as international affairs (political, economic, and social situations);
- Relevant software knowledge;
- Copy-editing skills;
- Readiness to work, in addition to regular shifts, – to be available during important, breaking news events, weekends, work from home, as and when required;
- Fluency in Russian - mandatory, fluency in Ukrainian – strongly preferred, proficiency in English is desirable.
- International and friendly working environment;
- Numerous courses and instructions for professional development;
- Life and health insurance as of first working day;
- RFE/RL may assist the successful candidate with relocation to Riga, Latvia.
Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted. Cover letters are required and, yes, we do read them.
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
To learn more about us please refer to our web pages:
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.