We are looking for a Camera Operator for Current Time TV’s solutions journalism unit, who will be based in Riga and be responsible for supporting digital productions of Current Time’s solutions journalism unit, which includes filming (in remote locations) and editing compelling and engaging multimedia content specifically geared for social media use.
Solutions journalism not only spotlights social problems but also showcases, via evidence-based reporting, existing solutions. It investigates and explains in compelling ways how people, communities, and institutions try to solve problems that are relevant to wider audiences.
As an integral part of Current Time’s solutions journalism unit, you will produce content on mission-oriented and trending topics together with the team. A commitment to RFE/RL’s mission, adherence to its editorial standards and best practices is a must.
You will be joining an innovative, mission-driven organization at a time of rapid change. This job is an opportunity to explore the role RFE/RL’s journalism can play in society and experiment with diverse ways of engaging audiences and communities. You should be keenly interested in the best practices and latest developments in digital journalism. You are expected to pursue innovative forms of storytelling across platforms.
This position reports to Solutions Journalism Project Editor of Current Time Digital.
RFE/RL may assist the successful candidate with relocation to Riga, Latvia.
- Films and edits compelling and engaging multimedia content specifically geared for digital platforms, especially YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.
- Operates cameras and equipment, including lights and microphones, in the field as well as in video studios.
- Works closely with reporters and producers on shoots to determine the best way to visually tell the story.
- Offers advice on how best to shoot a scene, explaining the visual impact created by shots.
- Composes and frames shots, monitors light, lenses, filters and camera settings to achieve the effects sought by producers.
- Works closely with editorial and visual media team to deliver high-quality visual content.
- Take ownership of visual media projects, shepherding them from concept to screen, ensuring they are delivered on-time and in ways that meet publishing standards.
- Proactively seek out and develop new ideas for stories and digital storytelling.
- Able to work independently, being responsible for camera, lighting and sound, when filming on location.
- Maintains, cleans and tests news-gathering equipment – cameras, microphones, lights etc. to ensure proper working condition.
- Prepares equipment prior to filming.
- Troubleshoots in the field to solve technical issues.
- Willing to work flexible hours and travel abroad at short notice.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Specialized Education in audio-visual arts.
- Specialized training in the operation of video shooting and editing equipment.
- Minimum 4 year experience in camera operator and video editor for digital platforms
- Experience in studio pre and post production.
- Proficiency in multimedia storytelling for digital platforms
- Ability to communicate with people effectively and work within a team, mandatory.
- Ability to learn new complex subjects quickly including new technologies, mandatory.
- Ability to work independently as well as under supervision, mandatory.
- Ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot and solve problems, mandatory.
- Ability to perform physical duties of the job; must have ability to lift and move equipment up to 25 lbs. (12 kgs.) mandatory.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with external and internal clients, colleagues, and supervisors.
- Knowledge of digital cameras, lighting, microphones.
- Knowledge of editing programmes (Adobe Programmes).
- Understanding of video formats, codecs, standards.
- Working knowledge of field and studio lighting techniques and technology.
- Russian (fluent), mandatory
- English language (proficient), strongly preferred
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.