We are looking for an experienced Senior Accountant. In this position you will be responsible for ensuring financial transactions are timely and correctly recorded in the corporate books of RFE/RL, Inc. You will be expected to gather, track, analyze and present summarized accounting information. As a Senior Accountant you will also conduct reconciliations and regular ledger maintenance ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), internal policies and professional standards. The ideal candidate has thorough knowledge of accounting principles to verify, review and coordinate work output of other staff when required and to review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures. S/he is also adept at various accounting software (e.g. Excel and PeopleSoft) and assists the comptroller with special projects as needed. This position will be advertised until filled.
- Participates as a key member in the monthly close process. Prepares and imports journal entries with related, appropriate support for review. Ensures entries are completed in accordance with established deadlines.
- Prepares account reconciliation for assets and liability accounts.
- Performs monthly revenue and expense analytical reviews.
- Assists in preparation of RFE/RL and related entities’ financial statements and other external reporting.
- Assists with the preparation of corporate tax filings including Form 990.
- Cross trains with other finance/accounting positions to assist, as needed, including payroll and accounts payable.
- Assists with the preparation of other corporate compliance reports including FBAR, Form 6166 and Form 720, etc.
- May verify, review, or coordinate work output of other staff.
- Ensures that confidential information is secure.
- Keeps abreast of financial accounting standards and internal policies.
- Accounting & finance or related field (BA or BS - bachelor’s degree) required.
- Advanced degree in Accounting or Finance or related field is preferred.
- CPA or CPA candidate is desired.
- Hands-on responsibilities involved in all facets of an organization’s accounting functions (Minimum of 5 years required).
- Preference to individuals with 2-3 years’ experience in a Senior Accountant role.
- Specialized skills:
- Strong background in accounting and financial analysis; preferably, with an international environment exposure
- Proven track record of performing tasks efficiently, timely and accurately
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with non-native English speakers
- Willingness to follow direction and communicate timely on status and issues
- Provides solutions to identified errors
- Adept in working independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrates superior professionalism
- Ability to multi-task duties to ensure deadlines are met and work is completed accurately
- Must be well organized
- Sound accounting knowledge of GAAP and Uniform Guidance
- Advanced proficiency in various software to include Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Peoplesoft Financials
- Previous experience interacting with external auditors during annual audit process
- Native English language proficiency, required
- Czech and Russian languages, desirable
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a D.C. basis only. Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of Washington D.C., or be willing to relocate. If selected for a D.C.-based position from another part of the United States, RFE/RL would cover the costs of interview travel and relocation upon appointment. RFE/RL offers a competitive salary and benefits package to include locality pay for employees based in Washington D.C.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.