Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty - Szabad Európa is seeking an experienced senior correspondent. In this position you will initiate, produce, and deliver a wide variety of journalistic materials for the service’s digital platforms relevant to the target audience and to RFE/RL mission, adhering to and striving to exceed RFE/RL content quality standards. RFE/RL journalistic jobs are versatile and cover a wide range of tasks and activities. Employees must be creative and highly motivated team players. Versatility and an ability to flexibly respond to the challenges of a fast-changing world while maintaining the integrity and recognized quality of RFE/RL journalism are key to success for both RFE/RL and its employees.
• Creates original content on a wide variety of topics and issues for digital platforms, including but not limited to news items, interviews, analyses, field reports, long-form features, live news coverage and video scripts.
• Works as a field correspondent and reporter as assigned
• Conducts interviews by telephone or in the field. Must have developed expertise in defined beats or fields (e.g. education, health care, economics, covering domestic politics) through long-term journalism experience.
• Produces live, recorded, online, printed, or visually-oriented content, as appropriate, using the available techniques, operates relevant technologies, tools and computer equipment, and/or directs specialists or other involved staff if assigned.
• Maintains up–to–date familiarity with political, economic, and social developments in and related to the target area. Briefs himself/herself on latest news and issues prior to starting work day.
• Researches material and, exercising editorial judgment, selects reliable information from a varied range of reputable sources.
• Demonstrated ability to work efficiently under pressure and as a collaborative team member. Respects deadlines and strives to meet or exceed RFE/RL standards for the quality of the output.
• Adheres to RFE/RL editorial standards at all times and takes editorial responsibility for all own material.
• Actively participates in program feedback sessions.
• Is expected to regularly suggest viable coverage ideas and to contribute to program planning.
• If assigned, acts as an editor responsible for an output segment, e.g. radio or TV program or program stream, website, blog, newspaper, etc., as appropriate for the given platform and as applicable. Commissions, selects, and edits the relevant material.
• Explores innovative angles for coverage, ensuring relevance for the audience and to serve as an example for best practice journalism.
• Takes part, as required, in programs by local media and develops contacts for both journalistic work and RFE/RL reputation.
• Contributes to intra-Broadcasting program analyses.
• Is familiar with the Service’s output on all platforms and by contributing viable, creative suggestions in editorial meetings strives to increase Service’s impact.
• May be assigned partial or complete responsibilities of the organization unit leader in maintaining output quality, managing the team, and implementing effective and efficient use of resources.
• If assigned people responsibilities, monitors and gives guidance on work in progress, and gives immediate, fair and constructive feedback to journalists and to support staff. Coaches, trains, and mentors less experienced colleagues and contributes to creating and maintaining a supportive working environment.
• Combination of education and experience
• Journalism or related field MA - Master degree
• Experience as a journalist, minimum 8 years
• Good familiarity with political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as with regional and international affairs.
• History of successful handling of progressively challenging assignments, including substantial editorial experience.
• Substantial editorial experience in international media.
• Ability to give honest, fair, and constructive feedback and to reliably guide staff in editorial matters.
• Able to effectively use all RFE/RL content management system options - capable of posting and editing text and photos, making photo galleries, posting and editing videos, program scheduling, and mastering Internet TV.
• Able to manage assigned staff. Ability to assume responsibility for staff development process in the assigned team if applicable, to be effective coach/mentor, and to take charge of individual team members’ development. Shows leadership qualities as well as being a solid team player.
• Acts on appreciating his responsibility in helping develop a supportive team and maintain a positive working environment.
• Advanced level of English. Reliably translates current affairs texts from English into native language and vice versa and to provide subject matter expertise in English if applicable.
• Displays innovative, creative, cross-platform approach to journalism in own work and in influencing others, resulting in viable suggestions for coverage and delivery.
• Evidence of creative handling of subjects in content and in form in own work and on any platform.
• Has had substantial input into the Service’s output on all platforms and by contributing viable, creative suggestions in editorial meetings strives to increase Service’s impact.
• Possesses comprehensive content creation skills that can be held up as examples of best-practice journalism. Produces highly compelling content that is recognized for its high quality and attractiveness to the audience both in and outside RFE/RL. Has developed a network of original sources and cultivated several specific beats. Consistently pitches original ideas and meets or beats deadlines. Thinks outside the box.
• Possesses deep knowledge of the Service’s output on all platforms and by contributing viable, creative suggestions in editorial meetings, effectively increases Service’s impact.
• Proven leadership abilities in editorial management and planning. Can assume full editorial responsibility and be trusted to exercise good judgment in sensitive situations.
• Sound editorial judgment, ability to act as an editor responsible for the overall output and cross-platform editorial control. Capable of supervising radio, web, and multimedia production in terms of both, content and production quality and to serve as a chief editor of the given platform.
• Takes responsibility for own professional development both in terms of challenging assignments and in training.
• Willingness and ability to learn and to work with audio and video equipment, word processing tools, information research tools and new technologies and media platforms as well as to acquire or enhance the knowledge of journalistic practices relevant to the assignment.
- Hungarian language Native level
- English language Proficient
- Other foreign language is an advantage
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of the specified city, or be willing to relocate there at their own expense. Salaries for employees in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are competitive, based on prevailing local conditions. Employee benefits in RFE/RL's broadcast regions are in accordance with the local labor law specific to the country.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.