We are looking for an experienced Journalism Trainer for Video Production. In this position you will be responsible for providing training to RFE/RL journalism and operational staff on creating multiplatform visual storytelling that is of a high editorial, technical, and visual quality and which is in alignment with RFE/RL’s overarching strategy and the organization’s mission and standards.
Reporting to the Head of Journalism Training, this position works with other trainers, editors, and producers at RFE/RL to design and deliver in-person and online training workshops, support efficient workflows, and drive digital-first production innovation to keep RFE/RL visual content on-trend and relevant to its intended audience.
The incumbent actively advances collaboration in and across teams throughout RFE/RL and helps colleagues to adapt to changes in their media environment by ensuring strong training support for strategic programming initiatives.
- Together with the Head of Journalism Training and in agreement with senior News Division management, devises and conducts in-person and online training workshops in a range of video production skills
- Trains journalists in live broadcast and control room protocol
- Works with RFE/RL journalists and technical support to find quick operational solutions for creative and compelling digital-first products
- Collaborates with Journalism Training, Digital Strategy, Operations, and Editor in Chief to shape strategy for video output across all digital platforms
- Monitors the news media industry for innovative approaches to video products, platforms, and processes
- Leads individual and group training sessions according to need
- Reviews and gives feedback on services’ video products and processes
- Travels to bureaus or third countries to conduct on-site training as needed
- Manages learning platform for RFE/RL Journalism Training
- Provides other administration or production support as needed
University education in communications/journalism, a certificate in media studies, or the equivalent in experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in digital production for a journalistic outfit.
- At least 2 year of experience in journalism training and project management
- Familiarity with best practices, rules, and industry regulations and standards around video production
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance
- Familiarity with RFE/RL mission and journalistic standards
- Knowledge of RFE/RL platforms and digital techniques
- Strong editorial and technical skills for designing practical workshops
- Patience and the ability to multi-task while managing multiple tasks
- Ability to meet a deadline and show others how to prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Excellent planning skills and an eye for detail
- Good news judgment
- Creative storytelling skills with a proven ability to create new ways to tell high-impact stories on a variety of multimedia platforms
- A strong portfolio and resume reel that demonstrates high quality work
- Proficiency in English
- Other relevant languages, esp. Russian, preferred
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.