Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty seeks an Archives Media Manager to regulate and manage life-cycles of media files for Archiving in the Prague Headquarters. The Archives Media Manager will report to the Manager of the RFE/RL Digital News Library, and will play a key role in daily processing and preparation of files selected for long-term preservation according to RFERL Archive policies.
The Archives Media Manager will participate with the Prague Archive team in building, maintaining and providing access to the RFERL Archives. The Archives Media Manager will be in charge of monitoring and controlling file creation, growth, and purging on regular schedules to maintain the operating health of Prague Production Storage and delivery environments.
The Archives Media Manager will coordinate closely with the Archives Librarians to create Archive Master Files based on their selections and approval. The Archive Media Manager will be responsible for Quality Control and Quality Assurance for Archive Master Files. The Archives Media Manager will have knowledge and experience in trouble shooting media files and assessing quality and integrity of files using various production and analysis tools. The Archive Media Manager will analyze and repair files where necessary.
The Archives Media Manager will assist in receiving and delivering archive files from/to other Bureaus via various file delivery methods. The Archives Media Manager will assist in receiving archive-eligible incoming files via various file delivery methods, from Bureaus, or other external sources.
The Archives Media Manager should show an active interest in technology and will suggest and contribute technological solutions which increase productivity and efficiencies for all Archive policies and file management.
The Archives Media Manager will keep informed and educated on new technologies related to video codecs and formats, media encoding, file storage, file transfer and distribution (including streaming methods and protocols), as well as general data security practices as related to asset transfer and storage.
- Based on overall File Management Policies and Retention Schedules derived by Archives, Operations and Editorial teams, controls File and Folder maintenance on the Prague Production Storage, or related storage. On a daily basis, assesses and manages the Production Storage using manual and automated methods and in sequence with daily and weekly News Production schedules.
- Compiles and prepares video files chosen by Archives Librarians for archive. Concatenates multiple camera-originals, prepares designated files for archive ingesting and cataloging by the Archives Librarians. Provides QA/QC, normalizing, or transcoding on these files as needed. Works in close conjunction with the Archives Librarians to identify and prepare files for archive. With the Archives Librarians, creates schedules of review, compilation and deletion of files from the Production Storage for archiving. Troubleshoots and repairs files where possible.
- Coordinates with the Senior Media Manager for Bureaus to schedule and receive file deliveries from the Field and from Bureau (remote delivery via Internet/FTP) to a central, designated location on Production Storage. Troubleshoots and repairs files where possible.
- Coordinates any file transfers within the Prague Production Storage to make newly created files available to multiple Prague based Services. Educates Prague based Production Teams on the policies and procedures for accessing files in designated locations on Prague Production Storage.
- Collaborates with Prague Engineering and/or IT to regulate permissions and access to Prague Production Storage Network Attached Storage.
- Works closely with the Prague based Archives Senior Media Manager for Bureaus to harmonize best practices related to Archive Media Management overall, and as related to Bureau Media Management practices.
- With the Prague based Archives Senior Media Manager for Bureaus, documents and socializes to Producers required Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) related to Archive selection, encoding, ingest, and file transfer.
- In coordination with the Prague based Archives Senior Media Manager for Bureaus, or individually, the Archive Media Manager will compile statistics of files on Prague Production Storage and Archive Storage to represent various data points related to the Archive Media Management processes.
- The Archive Media Manager will provide support in Video Research requests. This will include executing file restores from Archive storage, moving Archive files to designated watch folders on Prague Production Storage, communicating with Services Producers about the arrival and location of restored Archive files, performing Quality Control on restored Archive files, and managing deletion schedules of restored files.
- Bachelor’s Degree [or equivalent] preferred in a related field or subject area: Video/Audio Production, Engineering, or Telecommunications
- Experience in broadcast or digital media distribution environment (2-3 years).
- Demonstrated experience with the following technologies or practices
- DNG/ENG Field recording and video delivery workflows
- Linear broadcast and non-linear digital distribution workflows
- Transcode and encoding software (Telestream Vantage, Adobe Media Encoder, ffmpeg, Harmonics ProCoder, Digital Rapids Transcode Manager, Amberfin iCR, etc)
- File analysis and QC software (TreeSize, Interra Baton, Rhozet)
- File delivery software (FTP, and WAN-accelerated: Signiant, Aspera, Latakoo, Elemental, etc.)
- Live streaming (Youtube, Facebook, Live U, etc) file, and/or Base-band feed delivery protocols and practices
- Video Editing software (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut, Media Composer, News Cutter, etc)
- Current video formats, framerates, codecs and containers; current audio file formats
- Familiarity with Media / Digital Asset Management systems (Dalet, Avid, Viz, Arvato VPMS)
- Experience working in a video news gathering operation (broadcast or online), desirable.
- Experience in storage (SAN and NAS) management
- Basic video editing skills.
- Ability to assess solution outcomes, and apply critical thinking in decision making
- Ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot and resolve problems.
- Keen attention to detail and highly organized.
- Ability to effectively communicate, carry out directives, and professionally maintain client-customer relationships in a diverse, inclusive, multi-lingual work environment.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure. Willingness to work flexible hours as needed.
- English language, native to near-native (Mandatory)
- Russian language, native to near-native (Preferred)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.