Current Time is the leading independent Russian-language television channel, providing factual news, unbiassed reporting, and engaging video content to Russian-speaking audiences. We strive to ensure people have access to accurate information in places where such access may be limited by censorship, and freedom of speech may be under threat.
We are looking for a Senior Digital Editor (Footage vs Footage project) for Current Time to be based in Riga and lead a group of digital savvy journalists committed to delivering objective and compelling reporting in the Russian language.
WHAT DOES THE ROLE ENTAIL?
Reporting to the Managing Editor of Current Time Digital, you will lead a team of experienced journalists and video producers that specializes in countering government propaganda and the spread of fake news. You will oversee the production of videos, articles, infographics, and other digital formats that will contribute to our mission providing our audiences with accurate and unbiassed information.
A commitment to our mission, journalistic impartiality and integrity is a must. You will provide editorial oversight of content produced by the team, ensuring that all content adheres to RFE/RL’s editorial standards and its best practices.
Key responsibilities include:
- Supervise the content production at all stages.
- Staying on top of latest trends, discourses, and narratives in state-sponsored propaganda and disinformation campaigns in Current Time’s coverage region and shape the project’s agenda accordingly.
- Prepare content to be published. Share responsibility for posting factually accurate and compelling content to digital platforms, including social media and websites, with an eye to use on mobile devices
- Managing content and copy flow in coordination with other editors. Conducting quality tests on content pre- and post-publication, fixing errors in published content, and testing new site changes and features
- Together with the Managing Editor, working with RFE/RL’s Digital Strategy team to actively share experiences of your team’s work with the entire organization and adapt accounts, processes, and output to align with central guidelines and common standards
- Taking a proactive role in editorial meetings, keeping up with the news and pitching compelling story ideas
- Managing and assigning tasks to members of the digital team and putting together schedules for content and shifts
- If requested, taking on writing, editing, and production assignments
- Supporting the growth, goal setting, professional development, and performance of staff
- Performing related work as assigned
ARE YOU THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
The successful candidate will have:
- Degree in journalism, or related field or equivalent experience
- 8+ years’ experience in digital journalism in news organization.
- 5+ years’ experience managing teams.
- Extensive experience in publishing projects across platforms.
- Project management skills
- Strong reporting and editing background
- Editorial judgment, and ability to edit others' content in a professional manner for digital media use.
- Team-based work ethics.
- Familiarity with social media storytelling and search engine optimization.
- Understanding of digital content distribution and success metrics.
- Ability to work various shifts, as assigned and on short notice.
- Familiarity with html and video editing are a plus
- Russian (fluent), mandatory.
- English language (proficient), strongly preferred.
RFE/RL may assist the successful candidate with relocation to Riga, Latvia.
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
To learn more about us please refer to our web page: https://pressroom.rferl.org/about-us
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.