Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is looking to hire in its broadcasting headquarters – its most senior News Division role – Head of News Division, located in Prague, Czech Republic.
As authoritarian governments around the world crack down on a free press and spread disinformation, RFE/RL’s mission is more critical than ever. We promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. RFE/RL reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Head of the News Division oversees the Editorial Board and sets editorial direction for all journalists operating from 20+ bureaus, Prague, and Washington, D.C. while overseeing journalistic content on numerous platforms in multiple target languages. The Head of the News Division is the ultimate guarantor of the quality of RFE/RL’s editorial output and through vision and oversight ensures that RFE/RL’s journalism meets the highest journalistic and mission standards.
WHAT DOES THE ROLE ENTAIL?
As part of the executive team based in the beautiful capital city of Prague, Czech Republic you will work closely with senior management to drive the overall strategy for the division.
Key responsibilities include:
- operational, budgetary, and administrative management of the division as well as crisis management and program delivery.
- ensuring smooth internal cooperation with all internal stakeholders (e.g., Finance, HR, Operations, etc.) as well as with external partners, entities, and oversight agencies, as needed.
- developing programming policy and ensuring implementation of corporate goals and objectives through effective strategic, financial, operational planning.
- on occasion, representing RFE/RL with other news organizations and external audiences to highlight RFE/RL’s work.
- managing several direct reports, who may vary in number depending on strategic direction and operational needs.
- working on program review evaluations, digital performance reports, presentations of key performance metrics, evaluations of marketing performance;
- ensuring the accuracy and high quality of all written materials and presentations produced by the team;
- editing analytical reports;
- working with the team to improve written and oral communication in English and address recurring issues related to fluency in English;
- developing and implementing formatting guidance;
- reviewing strategic corporate documents.
ARE YOU THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant experience with successful implementation of large and complex change management initiatives
- Excellent understanding of journalism and news programming and/or previous work experience in a news media environment, including digital formats and audiences.
- Minimum of eight years of professional journalism experience including significant management experience that includes responsibility for budgeting, managing staff and resources, and organizing work processes, mentoring and team building in a fast-paced, multicultural environment. (Mandatory)
- English fluency; broadcast region language (preferred)
RFE/RL is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Positions at RFE/RL are considered Public Trust Positions, with appointment contingent upon the positive outcome of a background investigation.
Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.