Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) is hiring a senior manager/Division Head for our headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic – Head of Innovation and Audience Engagement.
Our mission is to promote democratic values by providing accurate, uncensored news and open debate in countries where a free press is threatened and disinformation is pervasive. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) reports the facts, undaunted by pressure.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Head of Innovation and Audience Engagement (Head of Innovation) leads the organization’s innovation strategy across all platforms for 20+ bureaus, Prague, and Washington, D.C. Fully versed in the latest media trends, especially in the news industry, familiar with newsroom workflows, with proven experience managing digital change in a large media organization, they will advise on digital news management and innovation as well as how to modernize all programming to ensure it meets the evolving needs of RFE/RL’s audiences. They will coordinate audience research, digital analytics, marketing, and journalism training.
WHAT DOES THE ROLE ENTAIL?
As part of the executive team based in the beautiful capital city of Prague, Czech Republic you will work closely with senior management to drive the overall strategy for the division.
- Leads the Division of Innovation and Audience Engagement, including overseeing and mentoring staff, promoting a digital-first strategy advising on modernizing non-digital programming, conducting audience research, analyzing digital analytics to monitor performance and improve audience engagement, and ensuring effective marketing and journalism training across the organization.
- Supervises activities of staff who serve as RFE/RL’s focal points for external engagement with civil society, the private sector, and partner institutions related to digital strategy and best practices building on RFE/RL mission to engage, inform, and connect with audiences to promote democratic values.
- Helps to set forward-looking programming and product strategy for RFE/RL target markets, including advising on appropriate staffing and training to ensure maximum digital skill sets across teams.
- Supervises the Audience Development and Growth Team that works closely with journalists and content creators across RFE/RL language services to guide and support their work in making it more relevant to audiences, increasing staff knowledge and best practices in terms of reporting, storytelling and distribution of content on current and emerging platforms.
- Oversees the News Product Team, which leads the iterative development of product portfolio across all RFE/RL; actively seeking to improve content relevance, quality, and delivery methods, creating a shared vision, roadmap, and strategy for RFE/RL products and building consensus with cross-functional teams on priorities to execute against
- Supervises the Journalism Training team to ensure a comprehensive offering that addresses mandatory training, the highest level of editorial standards, and the ongoing development of digital production. Supports the further development of the RFE/RL Academy, a comprehensive forum for journalism training needs and activities.
- Oversees a team that leads digital marketing efforts, ensures proper targeting segmentation and strategies for online and offline marketing campaigns, along with evaluation of campaign success. Oversees innovative ways to market content on social media platforms, inhouse and with partnering organizations.
- Oversees the Digital Innovation Lab, a cross-functional team of innovators that leads digital innovation for RFE/RL. Ensures that critical, required operational and security protocols are followed while supporting experimentation and accessible, revelatory and relevant journalism.
- Ensures effective cooperation and collaboration with digital technology and development teams to coordinate on News Division goals and to ensure all of its offering meets highest industry standards.
- Oversees all research efforts, including ensuring that programming receives essential quantitative and qualitative research support. Actively participates in annual content evaluations and strategy sessions. Coordinates contributions by members of the department to the program review process.
ARE YOU THE RIGHT CANDIDATE?
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant experience with successful implementation of large and complex change management initiatives.
- At least five years of team management experience and collaborative work across departments in a large media organization.
- At least seven years of progressive experience in content production in a large, global news organization spanning multiple geographies, preferably RFE/RL target regions.
- Experience overseeing newsroom digital transformation.
- Experience overseeing editorial planning, writing, editing, and video production in western-standard or otherwise independent news organization.
- Familiarity with security challenges facing digital platforms and how to combat them.
- Familiarity with journalism training programs.
- Fluent in English; Broadcast region languages helpful.
- Ability to travel internationally.
- Broad knowledge of RFE/RL broadcast regions and solid grounding in international affairs.
- Knowledge of and hands-on experience in the U.S. and European media environment.
Only CVs and cover letters in English will be accepted.
To learn more about us please refer to our web page: https://pressroom.rferl.org/about-us
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.