Reporting to the Central Asia Regional Director, the Central Asia Russian Managing Editor in coordination with the Central Asia language services Directors oversees the editorial and newsgathering operations of the Russian services of the RFE/RL Central Asian language services. He/she also oversees the work of Central Asian News Wire, Unit on Migrants and Unit on Ferghana Valley. The Central Asia Russian Managing Editor is expected to help shape and coordinate coverage in Russian of both Central Asia and separate countries constituting it on different platforms, including social media, ensuring that resources are efficiently used, and editorial standards are maintained. The Central Asia Russian Managing Editor’s tasks will include being responsible for the regional coverage, coordinating the output with ‘Current Time – Asia’, advising RFE/RL’s Language services on how to best cover breaking Central Asian regional and local news, providing inhouse analytical expertise and helping them identify relevant expert guests. He/she will ensure that material gathered by field correspondents is shared, in-house, as appropriate. The Central Asia Russian Managing Editor will participate in daily editorial meetings, working closely with language service editors and relevant correspondents on the ground to help guide coverage. He/she will periodically review the services’ Central Asia-related coverage in Russian and suggest editorial improvements. He/she will work directly with Central Asia Language Service editors to discuss with them plans, coordinate reporting of significant upcoming events in Central Asia and suggest feature ideas. He/she will also edit copy, when needed the Russian news from Central Asia, and write regularly on Central Asian topics, conduct major interviews and be available to travel as a correspondent, and/or to represent RFE/RL as an in-house expert on Central Asian issues at think-tank panels and similar forums, as required.
- In coordination with the Central Asia language services Directors oversees the editorial and newsgathering operations of the Russian services of the RFE/RL Central Asian language services and of specialized Units;
- Helps Central Asian language services coordinate their daily Central Asia-related regional and local coverage, working with both Prague-based editors and the Russian producers, field correspondents, specialized Units;
- Attends daily planning and editorial meetings focused on Central Asia coverage;
- In coordination with the ‘Current Time – Asia’ advises on the coverage of Central Asia-related events both in the countries and abroad;
- Supervises and coordinates Russian Central Asia editorial content on all platforms, including social media;
- Provides in-house expertise, suggests appropriate analysts and guests;
- Is responsible for running the budgets of Central Asian Wires, Unit on Migrants and Unit on Ferghana Valley
- Together with the service directors regularly reviews services Russian output both on Central Asian and country-wise issues, suggesting editorial improvements;
- Edits Russian copy as needed;
- Regularly writes on Central Asian issues and conducts interviews and travels, as needed;
- Oversees the work of Central Asian News Wire
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in journalism, a related discipline or the equivalent in experience is mandatory (Advanced degree is a plus)
- A minimum of 10 years of internationally oriented journalism experience, especially covering Central Asia, is mandatory;
- Detailed knowledge of Central Asia and its countries, and an extensive list of contacts there is mandatory;
- Proven experience reporting from the field under tight deadlines;
- Detailed knowledge of the main issues and challenges facing Central Asia.
- Must have proven reporting, writing, editing, analytical and practical problem-solving skills
- Ability to quickly evaluate options in a breaking news situation and make qualified editorial judgment calls
- Good communication and mentoring skills and a proven ability to work within a diverse workforce
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Ability to understand the specifics of various news platforms and the needs of diverse services
- Basic web, audio and video editing skills
- Target language (Russian), mandatory
- One of the Central Asian language (Proficient strongly desired)
- English language (Proficient strongly desired)
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.