This position requires a strong working knowledge of a wide range of broadcast and content management technology. He or she reports directly to the Chief Technology Officer. The Director must be comfortable in managing and developing staff engineering technical skills to support a network-level studio and transmission equipment, including bureau technical equipment. Must be able to help plan and support the technologies used in international newsgathering, including IP and Satellite-based transmissions.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are paramount as this person works closely with Senior Staff and a highly diverse, multi-national group of employees.
In this role, the Director of Broadcast Engineering provides vision and leadership in cooperation with the Senior Staff for the entire organization.
- Manage studio, multi-bureau, and field engineering staff.
- Manage and coordinate facilities, services, and maintenance.
- Ensure that staff has the proper technical knowledge in specialized broadcast systems to enable the design, implementation, and maintenance of these systems.
- Work with Senior Staff to define and implement vision and goals across the company.
- Define and inspire high-level engineering work quality.
- Disseminate accurate information to supervisors, direct reports, and other colleagues promptly and on time.
- Handle budgets for broadcast engineering and purchases across multiple facilities.
- Ensure that completion of projects is timely, within scope and budget.
- Successfully establish and manage relationships with all stakeholders in engineering and building projects.
- Report and escalate to management as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent in work experience) and minimum 10 years’ experience in broadcast engineering at a broadcast, video production or cable television facility, performing hands-on work on productions and live events, international newsgathering.
- Experience in building, maintaining, and updating infrastructure on a network-wide basis.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing technical staff and projects, including part-time and contract staff with demonstrated ability to improve performance, output, and quality.
- Proficient IT skills related to modern media asset management, automation, encoding, and video playout systems.
- Experience with satellite uplinks and IP video transmission links.
- Skilled in all facets of project management.
- Knowledgeable about international broadcasting rules and regulations.
- Proven ability to successfully plan, coordinate, and execute tactically and strategically.
- Demonstrated practical interpersonal skills, including outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to competing demands, and to balance shifting priorities across a range of stakeholder groups.
- Demonstrated ability to manage through difficult and stressful situations, work under deadline pressure.
- Substantial experience with a live studio, bureau, and field production.
- Strong computer skills
- English language required.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.