We are looking for a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) - a forward-thinking technology expert that stays on top of emerging technologies and has a contemporary understanding of digital media workflows, broadcast technologies, and the latest production and distribution trends with a focus to drive technology initiatives that further RFE/RL’s journalistic mission and optimize workflows, providing for dynamic and impactful journalism. The CTO oversees broadcast engineering and operations, multimedia production, media asset and content management, and distribution project activities, including those involving RFE/RL’s media production centers (i.e., at headquarters in Prague and local in-country bureaus located throughout RFE/RL’s coverage area). As a primary subject matter expert, they develop and advance RFE/RL’s technology strategy for multimedia production and multiplatform distribution, including production tools and systems, and advise senior management on strategic investments.
As a technology evangelist, the CTO articulates vision and strategy clearly to both technical and non-technical teams, building consensus across teams, leading change, and using creativity and flexibility in problem solving. They strive to provide efficient and agile services, developing and maintaining the necessary support for all RFE/RL media platforms and across RFE/RL’s locations. The CTO leads multifaceted projects from design to completion, working effectively across diverse teams, overseeing RFE/RL’s adoption and deployment of mission-driven technologies and systems. The CTO works closely with and collaborates with other senior and mid-level managers of the Operations Division, and key personnel in the News Division, including the VP & Editor in Chief and Head of Digital Strategy to ensure that strategic initiatives are successfully scoped and implemented. The CTO also engages as needed with RFE/RL’s oversight agency, USAGM, participating in the CMS Governance Council together with the Head of Digital Strategy and Director of Pangea Digital.
Management and oversight of functional area & teams
- Ensures that the departments and director-level personnel within their purview provide the technology and operational support for RFE/RL to meet its journalistic mission and to execute it digital-first strategy while supporting and advancing world-class multiplatform production.
- Supervises personnel including training, performance reviews, hiring, salary increases, terminations; prepares reports and analyses of the teams and units. Responsible for their overall performance and cross-organization collaboration.
- Works with teams to select, design, and maintain tools and systems needed for the production, editing, distribution, and transmission of content. Responsible for upkeep and functioning of such tools, systems, and equipment.
Strategy development and articulation
- Develops the technology strategy & corresponding road map for multiplatform media production and related operations, incorporating key stakeholder inputs.
- Articulates strategy not only to teams reporting up, but throughout organization, building organizational awareness and buy-in of tools and systems.
- Studies the industry; stays current with trends and innovation. Leads brainstorming of new ideas and initiatives, informed by the News Division’s problem set and knowledge of markets, audience, content/products, and distribution channels.
- Communicates clearly and directly, with experience presenting concepts and technical proposals to non-technical stakeholders.
- Delivers presentations in concise, direct, engaging manner and backed up by sound rationale and strategy that takes into consideration business needs identified by the News Division.
- Works to integrate risk management into the strategic planning and decision-making processes.
Senior management advisory, risk management and planning
- Advises Head of Operations and senior management regarding strategic budget initiatives relating to overall support for engineering, broadcast operations, digital news archives, news systems, the CMS, and other technical platforms.
- Develops plans to mitigate enterprise risks related to providing broadcast operations.
- Advises on the development of reporting requirements, policies, and enterprise risk management needs.
- Plays a leading role in business continuity planning and disaster recovery planning with respect to broadcasting and news systems.
Technology enhancements for multimedia production and delivery
- Reviews project proposals for new systems or renovation of existing systems based on new or upgraded technology and puts forward a business case to the Head of Operations and senior management in support of and as justification for proposed changes or enhancements to the technical infrastructure of RFE/RL.
- Responsible for developing technical criteria and scope of work for contracts put out to tender and assists technical team in reviewing bids and awarding contracts.
- Advises on training component for onboarding new tools and systems to ensure best practices and maximum facility among users.
- Oversees major initiatives and project implementation, enhancing RFE/RL technical capabilities to increase its journalistic impact.
- Works closely with News Division to understand its needs and to ensure journalists are properly trained in relevant tools and workflows.
- Guarantees projects are implemented on time and within budget with the required deliverables.
- Coordinates the preparation of departmental budget proposals.
- Maintains budget oversight and control for on-going team activities, special projects, and capital purchases.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technical discipline or Business, or equivalent experience. (Minimum).
- Advanced degree and/or certifications a plus.
- At least ten (10) years of management experience at a senior level, preferably in a multimedia company.
- At least five (5) years of management experience working in a digital and/or broadcast technology specialist role, preferable within the news media industry.
- Expert contemporary knowledge of Broadcast, IT, Digital, Automation Technologies, Design, Integration, Project Management, Video Production, Remote Production, Live Streaming, Studios, Media Management, System Architecture, Workflow Creation/Optimization.
- Deep understanding of how to implement best industry technology practices into operations and productions.
- Extensive experience in waterfall and agile project management.
- Demonstrated experience in serving client needs in an international environment, with strong customer service approach, and to help them identify risks and their impact on technical operations. Demonstrated experience in problem solving and mitigating problems.
- Demonstrated hands-on interpersonal experience listening to and advising employees from a variety of cultures and locations on wide range of production technology matters.
- Knowledgeable of the latest trends and emerging technologies and able to communicate effectively to customers and stakeholders throughout the organization.
- Proven ability to implement complex systems while keeping them operational on a 24/7/365 schedule.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to use a methodical approach to break down complex technical and other problems or processes into their constituent parts; to identify cause and effect patterns and analyze problems to arrive at an appropriate solution.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to understand and appreciate various perspectives on an issue, adapting as the requirements of a situation change, to be flexible and change or easily accepting changes in the organization or own job requirements.
- Skilled leader, able to build and lead teams, effectively managing a broad portfolio with agility and flexibility.
- Strong project manager with planning skills.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills, ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot and resolve problems.
- Ability to work with others on a team - to interact and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a busy and demanding work environment.
- Ability to influence others and collaborate with all levels of personnel in each component of the organization.
- Ability to manage large budgets effectively.
- Willingness to travel 25% of the time or greater, involving travel to RFE/RL news bureaus located in coverage region.
- Strong MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- First Language capability in written and oral English
- Proficiency in target region languages, (e.g., Russian, Persian) a plus.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.