RFE/RL Internship Program offers meaningful work experience for university students and recent graduates in order to:
- Support RFE/RL's mission by providing independent journalism experience to young people from our broadcast regions, who will return to their countries to practice impactful journalism.
- Assist RFE/RL's outreach efforts.
- Provide interns an opportunity to develop their skills through practical experience, thus increasing their prospects for employment.
RFE/RL offers a limited number of placements for interns, which are filled subject to the current needs of our divisions and departments. As such, interns should expect to devote at least three months to their RFE/RL experience, subject to renewal. However, interns seeking full-time, intensive internships for a shorter duration are also considered.
Interns can support the work of the following Divisions/Departments within RFE/RL:
- News Division (Language Services & Current Time TV)
- Media & Public Affairs
- Finance Division
- Operations Division (Human Resources, Technology, etc.)
- Office of the President
Requirement & Considerations
- Applicants must be university students or recent graduates (up to one year post graduation).
- Applicants must have a good working knowledge of English, both oral and written.
- Working experience in the desired field of expertise is not necessarily required, but knowledge of one of RFE/RL's 26 broadcast languages is a major advantage.
How to apply
For consideration, applicants should:
- WRITE a short essay/cover letter explaining their motivation for completing an internship at RFE/RL.
- PROVIDE a resume/CV and writing samples (if applying for a Broadcasting or Media & Public Affairs internship). If applying to a Language Service internship, please provide a writing sample in the language used by that service. Links to digital writing/portfolio samples are allowed.
You can apply directly for one of the already listed internship positions (preferable) or you can submit your application here.
We recommend that applications be submitted at least 8 weeks in advance of the desired beginning of the internship.
- The internship is unpaid. All costs (flight, accommodation, per diems, health insurance, etc.) are the responsibility of the intern.
- The intern is responsible for any medical or other health costs that may be incurred.
- An internship does not, in any way, constitute a commitment to future employment with RFE/RL.