The purpose of the RFE/RL Internship program is to offer meaningful work experience for university students and recent graduates in order to:
- Support RFE/RL's mission by providing independent journalism experience to young people from our broadcast regions, who will return to their countries to practice good journalism.
- Assist RFE/RL's outreach efforts.
- Provide interns an opportunity to develop their skills through practical experience, thus increasing their prospects for employment.
RFE/RL offers a limited number of places for interns, which are filled subject to the current needs of our divisions and departments.
Interns should expect to devote at least three months to their RFE/RL experience, subject to renewal.
Interns can support the work of the following Divisions/Departments within RFE/RL:
- Broadcasting Division (Language Services)
- Media & Public Affairs
- Finance Division
- Operations Division (Human Resources, Technology, etc.)
- Office of the President
Persons eligible for an internship with RFE/RL: University students or recent graduates.
Other points of consideration for applicants:
- Applicants must have a good working knowledge of English, both oral and written.
- Working experience in the desired field of expertise is not necessarily required, but knowledge of one of RFE/RL's 26 broadcast languages is a major advantage.
How to apply
For consideration, applicants should:
- COMPLETE Internship Application [print your completed form as a pdf -- or print and scan it -- for submission]
- WRITE a short essay/cover letter explaining your motivation for completing an internship
- PROVIDE a resume/c.v. and writing samples (if applying for a Broadcasting or Media & Public Affairs internship).
We recommend that applications be sent at least 8 weeks in advance of the desired beginning of the internship.
- The internship is unpaid. All costs (flight, accommodation, per diems, health insurance, etc.) are the responsibility of the intern.
- The intern is responsible for any medical or other health costs that may be incurred
- An internship does not, in any way, constitute a commitment to future employment with RFE/RL.