RFE/RL’s Iranian Service: Radio Farda
In one of the world’s most repressive media environments, Radio Farda breaks through government censorship, providing trusted news.
- Based in Prague, Radio Farda is a multi-platform alternative to state media, relying on user-generated content and extensive networks.
- Expanding social media audience – exceeding 3.6 million Instagram followers and account reach to 20 million.
- Since the start of the anti-regime demonstrations, documenting the truth about the regime’s victims -- including their identities; and those sentenced to death.
- Trusted by sources and its audience. Published exclusive interviews with family members of young victims – Mahsa Amini, Nika Shakarami, Hadis Najafi.
- Refuted state disinformation about cause of death of protesters, and uncovereds intimidation campaigns.
- Farda exclusively revealed an audio file of Islamic Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) top commanders meeting that was picked up by other media.
- Radio Documentary The Censored Life of Shabnam: The Story of the Ugly Duckling is Not True won 2022 New York Radio Festival’s silver medal.
January – December 2022
- Website: 185 million visits; 322.5 million page views
- Facebook: 198 million video views; 39.6 million engaged users
- Instagram: 3 million views; 3.6 million followers
- YouTube: 11.4 million views; 69,000 subscribers
Updated: April 2023
- Both Radio Farda and RFE/RL President and CEO sanctioned by the Government of Iran.
- In its World Press Freedom Index, Reporters Without Borders ranks Iran 178 out of 180, describing it as one of the world’s “most oppressive” countries.