RFE/RL’s Moldovan Service: Radio Europa Libera
Radio Europa Libera provides audiences with objective reporting and independent commentary in a region where disinformation is widespread.
- Operating out of Chisinau, reaches nearly 20 percent of the Moldovan population each week.
- Reaches rapidly growing (40% increase Sept. 1 – Dec. 31, 2022) Romanian and Russian-speaking audiences.
- Digital team sourcing, verifying user generated content to cover war in Ukraine; broke news about bridge exploding at Ukrainian/Moldovan border.
- First on the scene to investigate errant Russian missiles and speak with locals, prompting visits from President Maia Sandu to the area.
- Among first to report on refugees at border with Ukraine (Feb. 2022). Video had 1.9 million views and helped mobilize assistance efforts.
- Video on taxi drivers exploiting refugees led Moldovan government to organize transportation.
- Service’s breaking investigation about environmental deal between Moldovan government and breakaway region of Transnistria prompted public debate.
- Service interviewed Moldavan Prime Minister Natalia Gavrilita about possibilities of Russian invasion.
January – December 2022
- Website: 4.89 million visits; 6.6 million page views
- Facebook: 141 million video views; 21.4 million engaged users
- YouTube: 2.6 million views; 103,000 subscribers
- Instagram: 1.2 million video views; 24,000 followers
Updated: April 2023
- Reporters without Borders’ World Press Freedom Index ranks Moldova 51st out of 180 countries.